There are newer employer reviews for Social Security Administration

Love where I work, love my coworkers, public can be challenging, computer programs are VERY outdated.

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Kennewick, WA
Current Employee - Claims Representative in Kennewick, WA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers are the best. The work is technical and challenging which I enjoy. Learn something new everyday and have to look up evolving policy almost daily. Good pay considering I've worked for agency for less than 5 years and in my current position for less than 3. Haven't had a lay off since the 1970's (so I've heard). No furloughs or pay cuts like state employees. Very consistent job with great job security. Unionized. TONS of work to do. Never time to twiddle our thumbs. Days go by quickly. Lots of time off after 3 years of employment and TONS of time off after 15 years.

Cons

Computers are outdated, the sqeaky wheels (customers) often get helped first which I don't believe is right. Not a whole lot of room for creativity. There's a set way to do the job and you'd better do it that way. When there's a coworker that doesn't pull their weight AND causes problems, it's nearly impossible to get rid of anyone beyond their probationary period.

reviews filtered by
  1. Government employment

Current Employee - Service Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Service Representative in San Jose, CA

Pros

Job security, benefits, flexibility, opportunity.

Cons

The promotion system is based on time in service.

tough job

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

decent salary and benefits if you live a small town. opportunities for advancement if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

high stress environment , difficult clientele, very difficult work.

There are newer employer reviews for Social Security Administration