Social Security Administration

www.ssa.gov
  www.ssa.gov
There are newer employer reviews for Social Security Administration

Love where I work, love my coworkers, public can be challenging, computer programs are VERY outdated.

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Kennewick, WA
Current Employee - Claims Representative in Kennewick, WA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My coworkers are the best. The work is technical and challenging which I enjoy. Learn something new everyday and have to look up evolving policy almost daily. Good pay considering I've worked for agency for less than 5 years and in my current position for less than 3. Haven't had a lay off since the 1970's (so I've heard). No furloughs or pay cuts like state employees. Very consistent job with great job security. Unionized. TONS of work to do. Never time to twiddle our thumbs. Days go by quickly. Lots of time off after 3 years of employment and TONS of time off after 15 years.

Cons

Computers are outdated, the sqeaky wheels (customers) often get helped first which I don't believe is right. Not a whole lot of room for creativity. There's a set way to do the job and you'd better do it that way. When there's a coworker that doesn't pull their weight AND causes problems, it's nearly impossible to get rid of anyone beyond their probationary period.

227 Other Employee Reviews for Social Security Administration (View Most Recent)

Can't Expect Much

Current Employee - TSR in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - TSR in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You can work as many credit hours and the days off will add up.

After your call is done, you go home, no baggage to carry.

Cons

2 15 min breaks....you have to take them during assigned times
    1 30 min lunch break.....you have to go on your assigned times

There is seriously NO downtime between calls whatsoever. Your calls are monitored and get an excel spreadsheet of stats everyday (quite annoying and useless). NO room for advancement coming from someone who has had a mentor/gone to networking events/participate in community events/friendly to everyone. NO room for advancement. NO bonuses. Your restroom breaks are timed. You can't access sites such as Yelp!, FB, LinkedIn, Spotify. You can't listen to music.

My personal peeves are having to change your password every month and having to log into a system more than 10 times a day

Monitored 24/7 but if your supervisors mess up or give misinformation, there is no accountability! NONE! You can't report them (you can, but nothing will be done).

If you are going to stick to promoting your friends only, please select ones that aren't total idiots

Government employment

Current Employee - Service Representative in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Service Representative in San Jose, CA

Pros

Job security, benefits, flexibility, opportunity.

Cons

The promotion system is based on time in service.

There are newer employer reviews for Social Security Administration