There are newer employer reviews for Social Security Administration

Welcome to the Nut House

Former Employee - Benefit Authorizer  in  Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Benefit Authorizer in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Enjoyed helping beneficiaries and the salary.

Cons

Totally inept management that mistreats employees. Managers are mostly people who couldn't perform technical work and were passed onward and upward when they failed at other jobs.

Retire and put some qualified people in management

206 Other Employee Reviews for Social Security Administration (View Most Recent)

Love where I work, love my coworkers, public can be challenging, computer programs are VERY outdated.

Current Employee - Claims Representative  in  Kennewick, WA
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Kennewick, WA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

My coworkers are the best. The work is technical and challenging which I enjoy. Learn something new everyday and have to look up evolving policy almost daily. Good pay considering I've worked for agency for less than 5 years and in my current position for less than 3. Haven't had a lay off since the 1970's (so I've heard). No furloughs or pay cuts like state employees. Very consistent job with great job security. Unionized. TONS of work to do. Never time to twiddle our thumbs. Days go by quickly. Lots of time off after 3 years of employment and TONS of time off after 15 years.

Cons

Computers are outdated, the sqeaky wheels (customers) often get helped first which I don't believe is right. Not a whole lot of room for creativity. There's a set way to do the job and you'd better do it that way. When there's a coworker that doesn't pull their weight AND causes problems, it's nearly impossible to get rid of anyone beyond their probationary period.

Great Benefits and Growth Opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Excellent Benefits
    Work-Life Balance is excellent
    Opportunity for growth

Cons

Employees that have been here longer than 35 years seem negative and just waiting for retirement

Work with those who want to improve

There are newer employer reviews for Social Security Administration

Worked for Social Security Administration? Contribute to the Community!