Social Security Administration
www.ssa.gov Baltimore, MD 5000+ Employees

It's a zoo in there

Management Analyst (Former Employee)
Woodlawn, MD

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAs other reviewers have stated, working for the federal government affords you great job security. Unless you deliberately do something to get fired (cheat on timesheets, use your gov't card for personal purchases, fight on the job, etc.) you will not lose your job.

Depending on what organization within SSA you work for, there is some work-life balance. Some management are more understanding than others when it comes to chlld care needs, doctor's appointments and such.

The pay and the benefits are decent. It probably pay less than private sector jobs, but in this economy all that matters is that you have good pay to make your monthly expenses and a benefits package to take care of your family.

The security measures to protect the agency, the employees and the important data that we handle is second to none. They employ cutting-edge technology to secure the agency, and that helps employs feel they can do their jobs not only safely, but efficiently.

ConsSome parts of the agency are extremely restrictive -- nickel-and-diming employees on their time, leave and not allowing for flexiplace arrangements (telecommuting).

There is a lot of complacency within the agency. You'll often find employees with 30+ years are resistant to change, and that makes it difficult to innovate and create efficiencies.

I've never seen so much nepotism in the workplace in my life. Education and experience doesn't count for much at SSA. If you are related to someone there -- someone high up in the food chain -- chances of getting a cushy job and opportunities for promotion are excellent.

The agency could do a better job upgrading the systems and equipment employees use to do their jobs. A lot of the equipment is outdated and inefficient.

Where I worked in the agency required the use of paper timesheets to track daily time and attendance. A total waste of resources, supplies and time. The massive operation employed to produce the paper sheets, process them and then store them was ridiculous and a complete waste of taxpayers money.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the younger employees a chance. Listen to their ideas and suggestions. Give them an opportunity to show you better ways of delivering services to the public and administering the agency's functions.

Take a long, hard look at your workforce. You have people with experience and education who are stuck in dead-end jobs while you have people who are related to certain folks who get plum assignments and promotions with little or no experience or education. You're wasting and losing talent that way.

You really need to find a more efficient way of tracking time and attendance. Daily timesheets that require supervisors' signatures and the inputting into the time reporting system and then storage are an egregious waste of taxpayer money. There are paperless means of tracking time and attendance, and you have the technology right there waiting to do so.

SSA, ODAR, OAO provides a good work environment, but it doesn't really appreciate or respect its attorneys.

Attorney-Advisor (Current Employee)
Arlington, VA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time for more than a year

Pros: Very flexible with leave and credit hours. Flextime adds a great… Cons: Max of 2 days off per year for CLEs. Will not pay for or reimburse attorneys for CLEs. Starts attorneys at a… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

I would recommend this employer.

TSR (Current Employee)

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Job security, great benefits, and management is supportive. Cons: Lots of office politics, limited growth within the TSC Advice to Senior Management: get rid of incompetent workers. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Social Security Administration.

Worked for Social Security Administration? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Social Security Administration reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Social Security Administration CEO Carolyn W. Colvin. All reviews posted anonymously by Social Security Administration employees.