Social Security Administration
www.ssa.gov Baltimore, MD 5000+ Employees

OK place to work

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSteady job and steady income.
Benfits are average - neither good nor bad. I've seen better and I've seen worse in private sector.

ConsQuality of leadership and management skills varies.
Politics.
Angry claimants.
Bad apples within the workforce that get promoted.
Annual performance bonuses range from $0-$500 (I don't understand the arguments that federal employees make out better than private sector. My wife works in private sector and gets $100,000-$150,000 annual performance bonuses.)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of SSI. Give it back to the states.

Debt Management Department

Debt Management Department (Former Employee)
Chicago, IL

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time for more than a year

Pros: I beleive working in the Debt managment department served several purposes. 1st. Its a foot in the door to a agency that has tremendous opportunity… Cons: Chatty/Gossip Culture that affects the quality and integrity of other… Advice to Senior Management: Initial Managment Training; Intermediate management and human relations classes/training. Management… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

analyst tele

I have been working at Social Security Administration for less than a year

Pros: good company to work for Cons: long hours sometimes and hard work Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Social Security Administration.

Worked for Social Security Administration? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Social Security Administration reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Social Security Administration CEO Carolyn W. Colvin. All reviews posted anonymously by Social Security Administration employees.