Social Security Administration

www.ssa.gov

Maddening yet rewarding at the same time

TSR (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

Pros--Public service. You are the lifeline for so many people and it's extremely rewarding to make a difference every day.
--Benefits. The benefit package is great; flexible work schedules, good pay, and plenty of leave availability. Some managers and positions are more flexible than others.
--Co-workers. At least in Kansas City, the people I work with are extremely hospitable and committed to providing great service to the public.

Cons--BUREAUCRACY! Some of the policies and procedures the agency uses are so pointless and unworkable--all it does is make life that much harder on the beneficiaries and employees. I wish people who worked the frontline jobs actually designed the policies.
--Nepotism. Too often, people are promoted/detailed based on who they know rather than how well they do their jobs. It's an extremely insular environment, and the lack of opportunities for advancement have a major demoralizing effect.
--Outdated, inefficient equipment and lack of adequate training. The stuff we use is from the stone-age. SSA seems to be under the impression that online services will be the savior of the administration yet the systems that are used are ridiculously behind the times. Additionally, it does no good to introduce new technologies without providing adequate training. We can't serve the public well if we don't have the time to learn the ins and outs of new changes ourselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to younger, frontline employees. We do the job every day and many of us have valuable suggestions for making life easier for those we are employed to serve. Stop being so married to outdated policies and focus on making government SMARTER and more efficient. Provide us with adequate resources to do the job and we will find ways to save money without derailing our mission. If SSA continues to be so inwardly focused, bright, young stars are only going to continue to leave at the first available opportunity.

A foot into government employment

Analyst (Current Employee) Falls Church, VA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Co-workers are friendly and helpful Cons: Depends on your branch chief. Advice to Senior Management: promote based on quality of work, not quantity. No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Disability Examiner, Arizona

Disability Examiner (Current Employee) Tucson, AZ

Pros: --pay & benefits are good for the region --quiet, physically comfortable environment --co-workers are decent people --you can work fairly independently --the organization has an important mission; you… Cons: --senior managers have few management skills and spend 75% of their time managing up --promotion is largely based on seniority, favoritism, and nepotism --it's fine for… Advice to Senior Management: Management requires actual skills. If you have never received mentoring, education, or some type of training in these skills, please go find mentoring, training… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Social Security Administration.

Worked for Social Security Administration? Contribute to the Community!