relentless and overwhelming work load

Current Employee - Claims Representative  in  Boston, MA
Current Employee - Claims Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

job security and management is good about taking time off when needed

Cons

overwhelming amount of work and stress.

communicate to upper management and Congress that our disability and immigration policies provide little incentive to return to work and become a contributing member of society. As an employee it is difficult to see so many entrenched in the culture of SSI for generations.

Other Reviews for Social Security Administration

Maddening yet rewarding at the same time

Current Employee - TSR  in  Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - TSR in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time for more than a year

Pros

--Public service. You are the lifeline for so many people and it's extremely rewarding to make a difference every day.
    --Benefits. The benefit package is great; flexible work schedules, good pay, and plenty of leave availability. Some managers and positions are more flexible than others.
    --Co-workers. At least in Kansas City, the people I work with are extremely hospitable and committed to providing great service to the public.

Cons

--BUREAUCRACY! Some of the policies and procedures the agency uses are so pointless and unworkable--all it does is make life that much harder on the beneficiaries and employees. I wish people who worked the frontline jobs actually designed the policies.
    --Nepotism. Too often, people are promoted/detailed based on who they know rather than how well they do their jobs. It's an extremely insular environment, and the lack of opportunities for advancement have a major demoralizing effect.
    --Outdated, inefficient equipment and lack of adequate training. The stuff we use is from the stone-age. SSA seems to be under the impression that online services will be the savior of the administration yet the systems that are used are ridiculously behind the times. Additionally, it does no good to introduce new technologies without providing adequate training. We can't serve the public well if we don't have the time to learn the ins and outs of new changes ourselves.

Listen to younger, frontline employees. We do the job every day and many of us have valuable suggestions for making life easier for those we are employed to serve. Stop being so married to outdated policies and focus on making government SMARTER and more efficient. Provide us with adequate resources to do the job and we will find ways to save money without derailing our mission. If SSA continues to be so inwardly focused, bright, young stars are only going to continue to leave at the first available opportunity.

A foot into government employment

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Falls Church, VA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Falls Church, VA

Pros

Co-workers are friendly and helpful

Cons

Depends on your branch chief.

promote based on quality of work, not quantity.

There are newer employer reviews for Social Security Administration.

Worked for Social Security Administration? Contribute to the Community!