BA

Current Employee - Benefit Authorizer in Philadelphia, PA
Current Employee - Benefit Authorizer in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Can wortk credit hours; decent pay

Cons

I have worked here for over 20 years: - Promotions are based on (a) if a family works (or worked) in the building, (b) you are friends with a manager, (c) you clear cases off a list, even if it is done wrong. - If you haven't had a promotion in 5 years, you never will. - All excess work loads are dumped on the Benefit Authorizers - Mgmt asks for ways to improve the system, then immediately gives you reasons why the improvements can'tbe done - Leave requests are not done on a true seniority basis - it is done on a "roster system". The list was recently re-ordered and based by seniority, however, a 2-year employee can still bump a 30-year employee.

Advice to Management

Nothing I say will ever change anything because they are all just playing a game.

Other Employee Reviews for Social Security Administration

relentless and overwhelming work load

Current Employee - Claims Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Claims Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

job security and management is good about taking time off when needed

Cons

overwhelming amount of work and stress.

Advice to Management

communicate to upper management and Congress that our disability and immigration policies provide little incentive to return to work and become a contributing member of society. As an employee it is difficult to see so many entrenched in the culture of SSI for generations.

Maddening yet rewarding at the same time

Current Employee - TSR in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - TSR in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than a year)

Pros

--Public service. You are the lifeline for so many people and it's extremely rewarding to make a difference every day. --Benefits. The benefit package is great; flexible work schedules, good pay, and plenty of leave availability. Some managers and positions are more flexible than others. --Co-workers. At least in Kansas City, the people I work with are extremely hospitable and committed to providing great service to the public.

Cons

--BUREAUCRACY! Some of the policies and procedures the agency uses are so pointless and unworkable--all it does is make life that much harder on the beneficiaries and employees. I wish people who worked the frontline jobs actually designed the policies. --Nepotism. Too often, people are promoted/detailed based on who they know rather than how well they do their jobs. It's an extremely insular environment, and the lack of opportunities for advancement have a major demoralizing effect. --Outdated, inefficient equipment and lack of adequate training. The stuff we use is from the stone-age. SSA seems to be under the impression that online services will be the savior of the administration yet the systems that are used are ridiculously behind the times. Additionally, it does no good to introduce new technologies without providing adequate training. We can't serve the public well if we don't have the time to learn the ins and outs of new changes ourselves.

Advice to Management

Listen to younger, frontline employees. We do the job every day and many of us have valuable suggestions for making life easier for those we are employed to serve. Stop being so married to outdated policies and focus on making government SMARTER and more efficient. Provide us with adequate resources to do the job and we will find ways to save money without derailing our mission. If SSA continues to be so inwardly focused, bright, young stars are only going to continue to leave at the first available opportunity.