Social Security Administration

www.ssa.gov
  www.ssa.gov
There are newer employer reviews for Social Security Administration

Just Started...OK so far!

Current Employee - Senior Case Technician, GS-7 in Omaha, NE
Current Employee - Senior Case Technician, GS-7 in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Social Security Administration

Pros

-you can earn lots of credit hours
-flexitime
-stable employment
-many positions are career ladder
-I am given all the tools I need to complete my tasks

Cons

-procedures can vary from office to office
-management is very paternal and untrusting
-heavy workload

-allow senior case technicians to work from home using the electronic record
-offer a career ladder for progression from case technician (CT), to senior case technician (SCT) to paralegal specialist
-offer tuition assistance for paralegal courses

225 Other Employee Reviews for Social Security Administration (View Most Recent)

Overall Good Place to Work

Former Employee - Claims Representative
    Former Employee - Claims Representative

I worked at Social Security Administration

Pros

The individuals working here are genuinely devoted to helping the public and do a good job of remaining objective, which allows them to work efficiently and accurately. I started at the agency fresh out of college, and I always felt respected by my peers and management, in contrast to many people who start out at jobs and are looked down upon for their lack of experience or age. The agency has a good training system in place to provide you with the knowledge that you need to do your job. This is a key element to success at SSA as basic skills will only take you so far, and specialized knowledge that really can only be learned while at SSA is needed to carry out your job functions.

Lower level management does a good job of promoting a work/life balance. You are not expected to work over 40 hours a week. If management permits (and they almost always did) you are allowed to flex in and out and stay later or come in earlier to earn up to 24 credit hours, which is nice if you needed to take time off and did not want to use your personal days. You earn 4 hours each of vacation and sick time every two weeks, so you have a total of 13 of each per year.

Cons

By nature the work is emotionally draining. The budget is such that the staff is overworked and the offices are understaffed, and naturally about half of the public does not understand this. Because of this, the work is never-ending and there isn't any downtime at all aside from lunch and the 2 mandatory 15-minute breaks each day. If you have a good manager, she'll be able to get overtime hours for the office so that you are permitted to work on Saturdays.

Promotions are based more on seniority than merit, so it takes longer to work your way up here than in the corporate world.

There are minimum requirements for staffing so only half of the employees are able to take vacation around the holidays, but this is managed fairly well using a rotating schedule.

Upper management does not think long-term and thinks only about the numbers. Also, there was always an undertone from my other coworkers that the director was not to be trusted, so I do not stand alone in this opinion.

I would suggest that management provides leadership opportunities to employees. I was afforded the rare opportunity to give presentations to my coworkers and other agencies about SSA practices, and it helped me tremendously, so I think it would be beneficial if the agency continued that practice.

Not the best place to work but also not the worst.

Current Employee - Senior Legal Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Legal Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Social Security Administration

Pros

The benefit package is great! After all, it is a government job. If you are just starting out and want a place where you can work independently this is the place for you, at least in the begining.

Cons

Promotion potential after GS-8 is virtually non-existent.

Stop using negative evaluations as a way to get more work out of employees. As I see it, after GS-8 "Senior Legal Assistant" you have nothing else to offer employees. Rating all employees at a three performance level is not a way to get more or better quality work from employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Social Security Administration