There are newer employer reviews for Society for Neuroscience

Good people, poor management

Former Employee - Coordinator  in  Washington, DC
Former Employee - Coordinator in Washington, DC

I worked at Society for Neuroscience full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and perks. Nice, smart, hardworking coworkers.

Cons

The management here is extremely top-down. Everyone is afraid to make a single move without approval from several different people. I found it extremely complicated to be an employee here because I was not trusted to do the most simple tasks, but also was expected to be creative and innovative. It's like they read a book on how to manage people and decided to do the exact opposite.

Your extreme micro-managing slows down the work flow and your barely-disguised contempt of employees is harmful to morale. Loosen the reins. Nitpicking everything to death does not improve the end product.

15 Other Employee Reviews for Society for Neuroscience (View Most Recent)

Great place to work and grow

I have been working at Society for Neuroscience full-time

Pros

I have really enjoyed my time at SfN, and look forward to many more years. The staff are fantastic, and the organization creates a real sense of team work. Lots of opportunities to move around and up.

Cons

Environment is fast-paced and demanding, so if that doesn't appeal, this isn't the right place for you.

Apply somewhere else

Former Employee - Manager  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Society for Neuroscience full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits package, despite low salary. They do promote a good work/life balance.

Cons

30-40% turnover rate amongst regular level employees due to a downward spiral of senior level management style and a lackluster attitude of contempt amongst regular employees. Senior level managers are micro managers and its very hard to get actual work done. High turnover leads to lack of continuity in work flow and frustration. Some senior level managers are insecure and refuse to see their own flaws leading to the problems in this organization's environment. Additionally, too much behind-closed-doors style management and decision making. All in all, there is an "us and them" attitude.

Root out the problems you have amongst yourselves and the organization will improve.

There are newer employer reviews for Society for Neuroscience

Worked for Society for Neuroscience? Contribute to the Community!