Sodexo USA

There are newer employer reviews for Sodexo USA

General Manager

Former Employee - General Manager
Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Sodexo USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Provides tuition reimbursement
Pay is competitive form newly hired employees

Cons

Company states they have a work-life balance
Very hard to advance within the company

393 Other Employee Reviews for Sodexo USA (View Most Recent)

Eh.

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits if you are full time
    Not terribly difficult work
    Can transfer between units if you hate it
    Lots of time off to be with your kids during the summer if you work in Campus Services

Cons

Your manager tends to get beat down by his/her manager, and is unmotivated and simply doesn't care. They do the bare minimum. It's a company culture thing, at least in our district. One guy's approach to management seems to trickle down to everyone and it's like they are all beaten dogs. It wasn't always this way - just the last couple years. It's become very numbers driven, even in successful units. I actually feel bad for them because they don't seem to like their jobs at all anymore.

High turnover for hourly and salaried employees. You can't build a team because the team is always changing because they don't value people. We are told monthly at safety meetings by managers, "Everyone here is replaceable - even me." You are undervaluing your employees when you say that.

Insane points system attendance policy that management may or may not choose to enforce depending on the employee. HR may or may not back them up on it when they do try to enforce it and it makes management look powerless and silly. Yet they continue to threaten with it.

Managers regularly take 1.5-2 hour lunches in the middle of the dining hall and say it's a meeting with feet propped up on chairs, laughing loudly with bowls of ice cream in front of them. Even if they might be talking business, it looks awful and doesn't help morale while hourly employees try to sweep around their chairs.

This may just be my unit. Maybe other units are run better. But across the board for campus services, the following is true:

Even if you are full time, IT IS SEASONAL WORK. You will be laid off for spring break, likely Easter, 3 weeks or more at Christmas, fall break... basically any time the kids leave campus and dining slows down or closes, you will lose hours. For some people this is fine and actually a "pro" instead of a "con,", but for many it makes life really hard. They don't tell you this when they hire you. And not everyone gets to work over the summer. Also, even if you DO get lucky enough to work the summer, you won't get to work every week.

See above.

It was a job.

Former Employee - Cook I in Fort Eustis, VA
    Former Employee - Cook I in Fort Eustis, VA

I worked at Sodexo USA as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

You get free medical coverage and weekly paychecks. At least this is how it was at the location I worked at.

Cons

Virtually no advancement. No potential for raises. Management does a poor job of hiring people. Management also has virtually no involvement in everyday operations unless absolutely necessary.

There are newer employer reviews for Sodexo USA