Sodexo USA

There are newer employer reviews for Sodexo USA

Just a few issues

Current Employee - Catering Manager
Current Employee - Catering Manager

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A good corporate environment, and some good planning

Cons

Chef's that refuse to cook (just thaw and serve), Chef's that refuse to push to create a great program, poor marketing, and poor recipe/menu ideas. Ohh, and I received the smallest pay increase I have ever had in my entire life (since age 17)...a wopping $750/yr increase...that is horrible.

Stop promoting people just becuase they already work for the company. I was told by many recruiters that I would not be considered for a position because I was not a "current" employee, that they always give current employees priority, and that my skills and experience were far greater than any of the other applicates due to this. I had to apply for a position that "current employees would not be interested in", just to get my foot in the door.

Feb 13, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us! We're happy to hear what you've enjoyed about working for Sodexo so far but would like to address the concerns you've shared about ... More

412 Other Employee Reviews for Sodexo USA (View Most Recent)

Toxic Senior Leadership - IT

Former Employee - ETL Developer in Amherst, NY
    Former Employee - ETL Developer in Amherst, NY

I worked at Sodexo USA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay is decent
    Work life balance is decent

Cons

Benefits are worthless
    Layers upon layers of management
    No accountability
    24/7 work expectation
    Employees have little value beyond head count
    Cronyism abound

Clean house. Replace devisive 'leaders' with people of character and who understand that hard working and knowledgable professionals are to be valued. Streamline the endless layers of management. Cultivate employee growth by encouraging cross-training opportunities rather than stifling them per policy. Create an environment of respect through transparency, as opposed to the rampant distrust current leadership promotes.

Mar 14, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'm sorry you had a negative experience. When situations occur, it's best to contact your local HR director for guidance on resolving any issues ... More

Corporate Services - A lot of Integrity built Into Systems - Good for Clients - Not always great for managers

Current Employee - General Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Don't work weekends. Your unit is basically your business to run as long as you do not have any problems and meet your financial goals,l which has givne me the opportunity to build a good team. If you are willing to move nationally there are always many opportunities.

Cons

I was told I was expected to work 50 hours a week as a salaried manager - I started as an hourly - and I agreed to this; funny though, that I have to enter my time as an 8 hour shift. I wanted to train with another GM at another account for a week before taking on the troubled account they were giving me,but was told there was not time - "Have to get someone in there." Don't accept that and make the same mistake I did. My boss basically gave me the keys and moved on sending me the the "so glad you are there" email as I out out fire after fire. It was hell figuring everything out and taking care of an account where the client was questioning if our company was the right one going forward.

Have to work the weekend? No worries - my boss does not allow any comp time... No operational - direct marking assistance or culinary assistance - help for small to mid sized accounts in my region- the company has cut back through attrition to meet their financial goals.

Last year they cut DM performance increases. This year (2014) they cut GM increases. I have always gotten above average increases = 4%. I rated that again last year but only got 1% because only managers below median salary were allowed their full increase because the company is trying to meet their financial goals.

Take it as a pro or con but it is very difficult to terminate an employee for any reason.

Take a look at the pros and cons listed. I have voiced my concern to my DM that I am not very satisfied because I cannot perform at the level I would like because I do not have enough in unit or out of unit support and work too many hours as it is (10-12 hours a day plus take home work or come in over the weekend). Absolutely no work life balance - Sodexo talks about it, but I have less and less. I think work life balance is limited to the people who write the polices and hourlys because we don't allow or strictly limit overtime. I went home sick after nine hours the other day and was amazed at how it felt to have so an extra couple of hours - do I need to put in sick time for that?

I was told there is not money for anyone to provide direct support to units at a district level. What is the direct and indirect cost of hiring a new unit manager to the company, to the client and to the turnover it will more than likely cause on the hourly side? I have worked for Sodexo for 12 years but if I have my way I will be helping you to find that out.

Mar 14, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing these things and would encourage you to contact your HR director to discuss and resolve issues as they occur because ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Sodexo USA