There are newer employer reviews for Sodexo USA

Worst Experience of My Life

Current Employee - Catering Manager  in  Austin, TX
Current Employee - Catering Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time for less than a year

Pros

The paychecks are steady and the benefits are exceptional.

Cons

I took a position after a previous catering manager walked out of the unit and I should have taken this as a sign. I jumped on board with less than 3 weeks until the property opened for the season and had 0 help from corporate officials.

I was fairly new to Sodexo so I was not familiar with the company, but I felt like I was put out to slaughter from day 1. I constantly asked for help from other people in the area, but often did not receive return emails or even phone calls.

Sodexo ended up loosing this account, which is no surprise, but it could have been kept with a few tweaks (unless they never wanted to keep it in the first place).

I was shocked at how I was put in a position to fail, especially when I have heard great things about this company for years.

Mar 14, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

I'm very sorry to hear about the situation you've described. This is not the typical experience, and our employees should never be set up to fail. If you are still working for Sodexo in a different ... More

352 Other Employee Reviews for Sodexo USA (View Most Recent)

Good entry-level part-time work in food service.

I worked at Sodexo USA part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great, flexible hours while in college and opportunity for creative teamwork.

Cons

Not a place to be for long-term growth.

Mar 14, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post a review! It's great to hear you were able to enjoy your work while in college, but I did want to point out that long-term growth is something we strongly ... More

Corporate Services - A lot of Integrity built Into Systems - Good for Clients - Not always great for managers

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Sodexo USA full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Don't work weekends. Your unit is basically your business to run as long as you do not have any problems and meet your financial goals,l which has givne me the opportunity to build a good team. If you are willing to move nationally there are always many opportunities.

Cons

I was told I was expected to work 50 hours a week as a salaried manager - I started as an hourly - and I agreed to this; funny though, that I have to enter my time as an 8 hour shift. I wanted to train with another GM at another account for a week before taking on the troubled account they were giving me,but was told there was not time - "Have to get someone in there." Don't accept that and make the same mistake I did. My boss basically gave me the keys and moved on sending me the the "so glad you are there" email as I out out fire after fire. It was hell figuring everything out and taking care of an account where the client was questioning if our company was the right one going forward.

Have to work the weekend? No worries - my boss does not allow any comp time... No operational - direct marking assistance or culinary assistance - help for small to mid sized accounts in my region- the company has cut back through attrition to meet their financial goals.

Last year they cut DM performance increases. This year (2014) they cut GM increases. I have always gotten above average increases = 4%. I rated that again last year but only got 1% because only managers below median salary were allowed their full increase because the company is trying to meet their financial goals.

Take it as a pro or con but it is very difficult to terminate an employee for any reason.

Take a look at the pros and cons listed. I have voiced my concern to my DM that I am not very satisfied because I cannot perform at the level I would like because I do not have enough in unit or out of unit support and work too many hours as it is (10-12 hours a day plus take home work or come in over the weekend). Absolutely no work life balance - Sodexo talks about it, but I have less and less. I think work life balance is limited to the people who write the polices and hourlys because we don't allow or strictly limit overtime. I went home sick after nine hours the other day and was amazed at how it felt to have so an extra couple of hours - do I need to put in sick time for that?

I was told there is not money for anyone to provide direct support to units at a district level. What is the direct and indirect cost of hiring a new unit manager to the company, to the client and to the turnover it will more than likely cause on the hourly side? I have worked for Sodexo for 12 years but if I have my way I will be helping you to find that out.

Mar 14, 2014Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing these things and would encourage you to contact your HR director to discuss and resolve issues as they occur because ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Sodexo USA

Worked for Sodexo USA? Contribute to the Community!