SoftLayer

www.softlayer.com
There are newer employer reviews for SoftLayer

Good for starting out... but that's about it

Former Employee - Server Build Technician in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Server Build Technician in Dallas, TX

I worked at SoftLayer

Pros

1) good learning environment
2) training modules to acclimate us to the types of issues we would commonly see
3) OT was just about always offered if we wanted it

Cons

1) pay was incredibly low. I came in with several years of experience, but was treated as if I was brand new, and was consistently called "cocky" for not asking for help for things I knew how to do.
2) male dominated culture, with no reason to change it in the datacenters. Females are treated weird... sometimes in a good way, but mostly in a bad way.
3) I heard lots of complaints from many different techs that had been promoted, but never received the accompanying pay increases. Job promotions were routinely pushed off until techs were ready to quit over things that had been promised, and never fulfilled.

Be honest with the employees. If you promise people a set course for a promotion, don't turn it around and get mad at them for completing their roles, and expecting you to live up to your side of the bargain. Be more understanding that you're starting techs off at a very low pay, and that if you're expecting to keep talent, that talent has to be paid for.

66 Other Employee Reviews for SoftLayer (View Most Recent)

The "Challenging But Not Overwhelming" mantra is pretty accurate.

I have been working at SoftLayer

Pros

SoftLayer is full of opportunities. Sometimes those opportunities aren't very clear, but the most ambitious employees find ways to excel in a challenging work environment. From an infrastructure perspective, the company was built to completely change the game in web hosting, and the amazing growth over the past few years is a testament to that innovation. The people here are some of the best folks on the planet to work with, and I feel very valued as an employee.

Cons

SoftLayer was born with a "startup culture," and that can seem very protected and closed off, especially if employees don't have opportunities to build relationships that will make them feel "in."

I think the biggest key is to visit employees in all of the offices. Given the "con" listed above, employees in every location want opportunities to build relationships with senior management. The more communication lower-level employees get from senior management, the more those employees will feel like part of the team.

Great company - great people

I have been working at SoftLayer

Pros

The culture is great. People love working here. Very entrepreneurial and very rewarding. The tremendous growth of the company presents great opportunities for employees to advance their careers.

Cons

Because of the tremendous growth you can easily fall behind if you can't keep up the pace. Entry level positions may not pay great, but the pay improves as you advance.

There are newer employer reviews for SoftLayer