SoftLayer

www.softlayer.com
  www.softlayer.com
There are newer employer reviews for SoftLayer

I'm embarrassed to have worked there.

Former Employee - Senior MS SQL Database Administrator in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Senior MS SQL Database Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Variety of customers and their issues made the job technically challenging. The terrible management provided opportunities to improve personal character, particularly patience, tolerance, and forgiveness.

Cons

Upper management seems to be drunken fools who care only for themselves. For my team size we had 100% employee turnover every two years with most quitting in one year. My team had 5 managers in only a few years. Why, not enough room to descibe it here. For me the main offense was management promising things that they knew they could not deliver to customers and they were happy to let us on the front lines take the brunt of trying to deliver in an impossible situation.

No advice, they are happy to lie and collect money for what they don't do. They just want to go public and become even richer than they are. I view them as beyond human aid.

64 Other Employee Reviews for SoftLayer (View Most Recent)

Very Poor Ethics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some very good employees and middle managers. Opportunity to make several good personal network connections in a fast moving high tech business.

Cons

If you enjoy being barked at, this is the place for you. Following our takeover of the Planet, the CEO passed out a copy of "The Prince" by Machiavelli to all of the recently acquired Planet managers. This of course to bring home the point that they had been conquered. I never felt more sorry for a group of managers.

If senior management does not get what it wants the first time - this is met with a screaming, condescending tantrum. If you enjoy verbal whippings - this is the place for you.

Learn that no one cares what you know - until they know that you care.

Awesome Co-workers, Horrible Technology

Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer I in Dallas, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Really awesome co-workers and free snacks (sodas, junk food, orange juice, etc)

Cons

Interface team is forced to use the slow and horrible API which was built upon the horrible in-house ORM, resulting in a poor work environment, having to make too many design and user experience sacrifices, which results in a slow and sub-par product.

Middle management needs to be more vocal to upper management about the issues developers face. Issues are raised and even after 8 months there's no response.

Managers need to be more forceful and call out other teams on their crappy code instead of telling their own to find a way to work around major issues.

There are newer employer reviews for SoftLayer