There are newer employer reviews for SoftLayer

Worst Place I Have Ever Worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time

Pros

The company tries to give you unique perks like casual dress code, free food and drinks in the kitchen, brings in lunches, and organize events.
Health benefits were pretty good.

Cons

The company always looked fun, but I don't think the fun culture really translates into the back office. It is different if you are in operations I think.
Company is transitioning. Upper management used to be very open door, and now a lot of the founders are leaving, which is really changing the company into this rigid, hierarchical culture.
They expect you to work a ton of overtime, and don't even thank you or anything. No bonuses offered.
The management really doesn't care about it's employees. They are so closed door and hard to get ahold of that you are lucky if you even get a word in when you pass them on the way to the bathroom.
This place has the potential to be a good place to work. It's a shame the mid-level and C-level management is really ruining it. And although I think it was moving in the right direction when I left, I don't think it will ever be that great because of the corporate attitude that is taking place instead of a more family environment.

Give credit to your employees where it's due, even a little thank you can go a long way. You should be willing to train and develop your employees, not just let them go at a moments notice. Be available for your staff.

62 Other Employee Reviews for SoftLayer (View Most Recent)

I'm embarrassed to have worked there.

Former Employee - Senior MS SQL Database Administrator  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior MS SQL Database Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time for more than a year

Pros

Variety of customers and their issues made the job technically challenging. The terrible management provided opportunities to improve personal character, particularly patience, tolerance, and forgiveness.

Cons

Upper management seems to be drunken fools who care only for themselves. For my team size we had 100% employee turnover every two years with most quitting in one year. My team had 5 managers in only a few years. Why, not enough room to descibe it here. For me the main offense was management promising things that they knew they could not deliver to customers and they were happy to let us on the front lines take the brunt of trying to deliver in an impossible situation.

No advice, they are happy to lie and collect money for what they don't do. They just want to go public and become even richer than they are. I view them as beyond human aid.

Very Poor Ethics

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some very good employees and middle managers. Opportunity to make several good personal network connections in a fast moving high tech business.

Cons

If you enjoy being barked at, this is the place for you. Following our takeover of the Planet, the CEO passed out a copy of "The Prince" by Machiavelli to all of the recently acquired Planet managers. This of course to bring home the point that they had been conquered. I never felt more sorry for a group of managers.

If senior management does not get what it wants the first time - this is met with a screaming, condescending tantrum. If you enjoy verbal whippings - this is the place for you.

Learn that no one cares what you know - until they know that you care.

There are newer employer reviews for SoftLayer

Worked for SoftLayer? Contribute to the Community!