SoftLayer

www.softlayer.com
  www.softlayer.com
There are newer employer reviews for SoftLayer

Good experience for other jobs

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Houston, TX

I have been working at SoftLayer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of good and helpful people, at least in Houston. Some good and helpful people in Dallas also but not a majority.

Experiences will be good on resume.

Cons

In the year I've been with the company, I've seen several people leave, and a few of them said their reason for leaving was that pay raises were scarce. These people were all veterans from before the merger with The Planet, so that should say something.

Commit to giving yearly pay raises based on performance, or at least a yearly bonus, profit sharing, something.

64 Other Employee Reviews for SoftLayer (View Most Recent)

Worst Place I Have Ever Worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time

Pros

The company tries to give you unique perks like casual dress code, free food and drinks in the kitchen, brings in lunches, and organize events.
    Health benefits were pretty good.

Cons

The company always looked fun, but I don't think the fun culture really translates into the back office. It is different if you are in operations I think.
    Company is transitioning. Upper management used to be very open door, and now a lot of the founders are leaving, which is really changing the company into this rigid, hierarchical culture.
    They expect you to work a ton of overtime, and don't even thank you or anything. No bonuses offered.
    The management really doesn't care about it's employees. They are so closed door and hard to get ahold of that you are lucky if you even get a word in when you pass them on the way to the bathroom.
    This place has the potential to be a good place to work. It's a shame the mid-level and C-level management is really ruining it. And although I think it was moving in the right direction when I left, I don't think it will ever be that great because of the corporate attitude that is taking place instead of a more family environment.

Give credit to your employees where it's due, even a little thank you can go a long way. You should be willing to train and develop your employees, not just let them go at a moments notice. Be available for your staff.

I'm embarrassed to have worked there.

Former Employee - Senior MS SQL Database Administrator in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior MS SQL Database Administrator in Houston, TX

I worked at SoftLayer full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Variety of customers and their issues made the job technically challenging. The terrible management provided opportunities to improve personal character, particularly patience, tolerance, and forgiveness.

Cons

Upper management seems to be drunken fools who care only for themselves. For my team size we had 100% employee turnover every two years with most quitting in one year. My team had 5 managers in only a few years. Why, not enough room to descibe it here. For me the main offense was management promising things that they knew they could not deliver to customers and they were happy to let us on the front lines take the brunt of trying to deliver in an impossible situation.

No advice, they are happy to lie and collect money for what they don't do. They just want to go public and become even richer than they are. I view them as beyond human aid.

There are newer employer reviews for SoftLayer