SoftLayer

www.softlayer.com

Senior Systems Administrator

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator  in  Houston, TX
Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Houston, TX

Pros

- There is no shortage of interesting problems. The issues the customers have are unique, and will definitely keep your plate full.
- They have their own clothing line.

Cons

- The entire company does everything through the internal portal. This means none of it will apply to your future jobs.
- No raises, and a "no counter" policy. This speaks worlds of what they think of their employees. We aren't worth the extra money, or trying to keep.
- They put automation so high on the priority list that there are some serious fundamental flaws with the technology that get completely ignored.
- A lot of Developers and Admins have a serious attitude problem.
- They have a tattoo artist at company functions. These functions are also quite alcohol heavy. It was not uncommon for them to, encouraging drunk people to get a tattoo. The tattoo was free as long as the softlayer logo is somewhere in it. I find this completely irresponsible and childish.

You may want to look back at what The Planet did correctly. In the five years you didn't own that company, it made quite a bit of progress. During the merger, that was all thrown away. Simply mentioning the name "The Planet" got you nasty looks.

Treat your employees how you want them to treat your company. If you treat them like they are expendable, they will walk... Especially if they are good at what they do.

Other reviews for SoftLayer

Good experience for other jobs

Current Employee - Systems Administrator  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Houston, TX

Pros

Lots of good and helpful people, at least in Houston. Some good and helpful people in Dallas also but not a majority.

Experiences will be good on resume.

Cons

In the year I've been with the company, I've seen several people leave, and a few of them said their reason for leaving was that pay raises were scarce. These people were all veterans from before the merger with The Planet, so that should say something.

Commit to giving yearly pay raises based on performance, or at least a yearly bonus, profit sharing, something.

Worst Place I Have Ever Worked

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Pros

The company tries to give you unique perks like casual dress code, free food and drinks in the kitchen, brings in lunches, and organize events.
    Health benefits were pretty good.

Cons

The company always looked fun, but I don't think the fun culture really translates into the back office. It is different if you are in operations I think.
    Company is transitioning. Upper management used to be very open door, and now a lot of the founders are leaving, which is really changing the company into this rigid, hierarchical culture.
    They expect you to work a ton of overtime, and don't even thank you or anything. No bonuses offered.
    The management really doesn't care about it's employees. They are so closed door and hard to get ahold of that you are lucky if you even get a word in when you pass them on the way to the bathroom.
    This place has the potential to be a good place to work. It's a shame the mid-level and C-level management is really ruining it. And although I think it was moving in the right direction when I left, I don't think it will ever be that great because of the corporate attitude that is taking place instead of a more family environment.

Give credit to your employees where it's due, even a little thank you can go a long way. You should be willing to train and develop your employees, not just let them go at a moments notice. Be available for your staff.

There are newer employer reviews for SoftLayer.

Worked for SoftLayer? Contribute to the Community!