There are newer employer reviews for Softchoice

Great company and people at Softchoice

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Softchoice full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I've been given a lot more opportunities at Softchoice then I would have at other companies. I've been challenged, promoted and have made some amazing friends here.

Cons

It's a sales company so if you aren't in sales, there aren't as many opportunties.

168 Other Employee Reviews for Softchoice (View Most Recent)

Great people, fun work environment, great starter company

Current Employee - Supply Chain Specialist  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Softchoice full-time for more than a year

Pros

They allow dogs, casual work atmosphere, can be very supportive, they don't nit pick over how many hours you work so long as you're getting the work done, chance to learn much and more about the IT industry, they encourage you to get certifications which make you more marketable going forward, open discussions about career paths, young, hip environment. Lot's of social activities and opportunities to get involved in the community.

Cons

Young, hip environment also translates into lower wages. Huge pay differences across departments. Lots of turnover. Workload can get very heavy, and its not uncommon to see people skipping lunches and staying late to get things done. Uncertain career path if you're not an Account Manager. 2 year contracts to stay in certain roles which may not necessarily be in your best interest. Sink or swim mentality with new hires.

Invest more in training young staff, especially CSRs in industry recognized certs so that transitioning to more advanced role is easier.

Balanced Review

Former Employee - Outbound Representative
    Former Employee - Outbound Representative

I worked at Softchoice

Pros

I found this site after a friend decided not to accept a job at Softchoice due to all the negative reviews. There are a lot of extremely positive reviews (suspicious) and extremely negative reviews. Not a lot of balance. I had a good experience at Softchoice. When I joined, I was relatively new to sales and to technology. I started as an ISR (inside sales). I knew nothing and got paid accordingly. After a couple years of experience, I moved into outside sales. By then, I had a little more skill and got paid a little more to "manage my territory". After about 5 years total, I left Softchoice early 2011 and took another technology sales job. I more than doubled my income in the first year and this year looks even better. I recommend that non-experienced individuals who want to get into technology sales consider Softchoice as a career step.

There is a lot of turnover in all areas of the company, but I can only speak with authority of the sales areas. A and B players do not stick around long and move to greener pasture. Depending on experience when hired, 5 years or more is a long time. I would say 5 years is about right for someone right out of college. Some B players, but mostly C players stay in sales or move into management. A few D players survive, but most are let go. F players are rarely hired.

I was probably a B player. I hit my numbers but never really blew it out. I focused more on increasing my skill set than in hitting the crazy metrics that they measure. That was a good strategy that has paid dividends for me.

Cons

Lots of managers, few leaders. Leadership ability in the senior leadership team and with sales managers is very scarce - they are more of operational managers. The skill gap in this area became even more clear after I left and joined a solid organization. I would not recommend Softchoice as a place to learn leadership. You will see by example philosophies that are contrary to what you learn in college and in the leadership best seller books.

Pay for sales is low, however, I think that is part of the model. They do not value the sales team very highly. People in general do not appear to be valued. They appear to expect and want turnover.

I hope that this balanced review will help a few people. If you fit the criteria and know what Softchoice is, and is not, then a job at Softchoice could be a great choice. It was for me.

There are newer employer reviews for Softchoice

Worked for Softchoice? Contribute to the Community!