Software Engineering Institute

www.sei.cmu.edu
Profile Unclaimed
There are newer employer reviews for Software Engineering Institute

Excellent Company to work for with a deserving reputation!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Software Engineering Institute full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company has an excellent leadership team that knows what they are doing. The Interview process was smooth but long but the people were so friendly and team oriented. The upper level executive come from a highly educated and diverse background. One of the biggest things that helped make my decision for employment was the affiliation with Carnegie Mellon University and the benefits that come with it.

Cons

I don't really have a downside to describe this company.

Keep up the excellent work. Don't change something if it isn't broken.

15 Other Employee Reviews for Software Engineering Institute (View Most Recent)

I worked at CERT/CC in the NSS group for the software engineering institute

Former Contractor - Visiting Scientist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Contractor - Visiting Scientist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Software Engineering Institute as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

SEI is operated under CMU, and so has incredible benefits.

Cons

Re-org day 1. The person I had interviewed with 3 months prior, and was looking forward to working with was replaced by someone who strongly disliked the technology I was hired to work with. This all happened shortly after noon on my first day.

Interesting job, but the environment is over-political and I rarely saw any reward for talent. In one case I even saw a promotion to vulnerability analyst from a monitor who had absolutely no knowledge in her new field, yet was well liked.

Stories of people who have come to work here on the first day, and do not return after lunch - started to make sense my first week.

It seems you have any real talent in your organization at CERT. You should consider hiring talented people for a change, and promoting them.

Good

Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Information Security Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Software Engineering Institute

Pros

There are strong benefits to being associated with a college campus (CMU) and the work/life balance is generally respected. Good mix of research and operational support.

Cons

The research component of the institution sometimes trumps customer demands and requirements. PhDs are given too much weight and influence. Compensation, bonuses and promotions are at times entirely unclear (though compensation isn't bad).

Be more transparent about compensation, promotion and bonuses. Stop bringing in new work if you can't handle what we currently have.

There are newer employer reviews for Software Engineering Institute