There are newer employer reviews for Software Engineering Institute

Decent place to start your career or to end your career.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Software Engineering Institute full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Schedule Flexibility, Tuition Reimbursement, Wonderful Co-workers

Cons

Too many re-organizations, Nepotism, Lack of diversity, Lack of benefits in the DC office. No transportation benefits in the DC office.

Plan the reorganization before announcing it. Layoff people whom are not contributing instead of re-assigning them to a different department.

12 Other Employee Reviews for Software Engineering Institute (View Most Recent)

Excellent Company to work for with a deserving reputation!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Software Engineering Institute full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company has an excellent leadership team that knows what they are doing. The Interview process was smooth but long but the people were so friendly and team oriented. The upper level executive come from a highly educated and diverse background. One of the biggest things that helped make my decision for employment was the affiliation with Carnegie Mellon University and the benefits that come with it.

Cons

I don't really have a downside to describe this company.

Keep up the excellent work. Don't change something if it isn't broken.

I worked at CERT/CC in the NSS group for the software engineering institute

Former Employee - Visiting Scientist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Visiting Scientist in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Software Engineering Institute as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

SEI is operated under CMU, and so has incredible benefits.

Cons

Re-org day 1. The person I had interviewed with 3 months prior, and was looking forward to working with was replaced by someone who strongly disliked the technology I was hired to work with. This all happened shortly after noon on my first day.

Interesting job, but the environment is over-political and I rarely saw any reward for talent. In one case I even saw a promotion to vulnerability analyst from a monitor who had absolutely no knowledge in her new field, yet was well liked.

Stories of people who have come to work here on the first day, and do not return after lunch - started to make sense my first week.

It seems you have any real talent in your organization at CERT. You should consider hiring talented people for a change, and promoting them.

There are newer employer reviews for Software Engineering Institute