There are newer employer reviews for Solar Turbines

A potentially good company run into the ground by Caterpillar

Former Employee - All IT Titles Are Political and Not Descriptive in San Diego, CA

I worked at Solar Turbines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's in San Diego, on the bay.

Cons

Very political; management is scared of their own shadow, always walking on eggshells. No confident, skilled, management. Company doesn't value skills, talent, or knowledge. Employees know only what management wants them to know. Not an open, sharing, caring, environment. Employees are generally bitter, sarcastic, and scared. Older workers just want to fly under the radar until retired.

Advice to Management

Wake up! The company will not last long if Caterpillar runs the company the way that they have been. Create an environment where the employees feel that they have a say or ownership of the direction of the company. Not scared sheep.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

It's a great company with great benefits.

Current Employee - Field Service Representative in New Orleans, LA
    Current Employee - Field Service Representative in New Orleans, LA

I have been working at Solar Turbines full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I get to utilize all of my military skills in one job.

Cons

Time away from family takes away from the job.

Advice to Management

Employees should have reviews for raises more often.

Worst Place I Ever Worked

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

I worked at Solar Turbines full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Harbor Drive Facility is right on the bay and it's in San Diego!

Cons

Old buildings full of old people that do nothing but make it difficult for people trying to make changes. All of management is in place due to brown-nosing, nepotism, seniority, or a combination of the three; it has NOTHING to do with performance or skills. The buildings are from the turn of the century and it shows. Bathrooms are dated, old, and stuffy. The cubes are packed really close together and small, the whole building shakes when walking. You feel like your working in a trailer home. I had to leave I just couldn't take it anymore.

Advice to Management

You really need to figure out what Solar's mission is. Not what Caterpillar thinks Solar's mission is but what is SOLAR's MISSION. Then you need to build the company that you envision. There is no sense in keeping a mission if you don't follow through with what it states. Unless you take drastic measures, you will not be in San Diego much longer. I'll give you 10 years tops before the competition consumes you or you waste away from the lack of direction and leadership. You either need to communicate your needs accurately and honestly to Caterpillar in Peoria or suffer the aforementioned consequences due to the lack of doing anything.