There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

Lots of learning and well organized

Former Employee - Regional Installation Lead in Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Regional Installation Lead in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the biggest in the industry with lot's of very well qualified people

Cons

Long hours and required overtime make the life/work balance really bad when working for this company.

Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity

Compensation is very low for a start up that is GROWING

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks, fountain drinks, teas coffees. Has Arguello on site that charges a reasonable fee for lunch and breakfast. Has shuttle from Millbrae Bart and also into the city.

Cons

HQ is cramped throughout. Open office style with small tables on the end aisles due to the flood of new hires. Requires employees to pay for on site parking or take a shuttle that sometimes could take forever to come. You know why they have a shuttle cuz there's not enough office space and they have exceeded the number of the allotted parking spaces. This means you need to get more office space!! You rather hire two drivers + cost of the vehicle+insurance and gas shuttling employees back and forth than get additional office space. You guys just filed your S1, you are going public, you are getting funding you still want your employees to be cramped when they are working?? Compensation is extremely low. I am a temp here but when I reached out to HR for a couple of their open reqs I think they are running a sweat shop! Paying many "analysts" who verify contracts and rebates etc $30-45k!!! The ad looked like it needed someone with extensive work experience. A coworker of mine who does the contract verification gets paid ~$35k. Reasonable for a first year grad but embarrassing for a company is in the process of going public!! Lastly, watch out for certain HR personnels. They are reckless: 1. Repeatedly miss scheduled phone interviews. 2. I received an offer letter that belonged to ANOTHER PERSON. Super sloppy.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fairly. Get more office space. It's a fire hazard.

I thought it was the real deal and it all changed when I started.

Former Employee - Energy Consultant in Ventura, CA
    Former Employee - Energy Consultant in Ventura, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fast pace a lot of praise and some will make it, in the right areas.

Cons

Solar is not for everyone. New tech that not everyone feels good about. You have to self gen. your own leads.

Advice to Management

When starting a new area put someone in charge who knows what they are doing. Not just a lot of words but good direction.