SolarCity

Communal!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Since starting at SolarCity, my colleagues and managers have been welcoming and open with communication. I respect the confidential / sensitivity of some company informatoin; but, have found that most questions can easily be answered with regards to the health of the business, company decisions, etc.

The shuttle service makes it easy and hassle-free to get to San Mateo from San Francisco. I also can leave my car in the parking lot for the week, thus, avoiding unsafe San Francisco street parking.

Cons

I found that there wasn't a well-defined training program for my particular role; however, I brought this up and hope our next hire can learn from some of the processes that I went through.

Don't be afraid to ask what I'm/we're working on - I'm happy to share!

464 Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity (View Most Recent)

Glad I made the switch!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fresno, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A) Great Design and Quoting tools.....better than any other in the residential industry. Over the past 6 years in the solar industry I have used every major residential design tool and quoting tool. All were clumpy and were rarely updated in a manner that made them easier to use in the field. The Rive brothers have assembled a team that has developed and design tool that automatically drops data into a quoting tool that is easy to tweek and revise to your customers goals. Everything from credit check to esign signing docs link with the quoting tool, sold customer data is dropped into the Operational system. Easily saves me 5-10 hours a week.

B) Sophisticated and Scalable Operational infrastructure. SolarCity Executive team knew they were going to be the industry leader and grow exponentially every year, so they spent the time and resources to develop (and to continue to devolop) operational infrastructure that can scale with their very rapid growth. A and B are why I made the move from a company that I was with for over 5.5 years....which is a hard decision to make when you need to let go of that kind of a referral customer base. My stress level is 1/3 what it was and I have more happy customer since install timelines are half as long and operational mistakes along the way are minimized greatly.

C) Much smaller territory now...instead of a 150 mile radius I now have about a 45 mile radius. Saves me another 5-10 hours a week in drive time between appts.

D) Marketing partnerships with The Home Depot and local malls. If I am low on leads I have different places that I am welcomed to come to lead gen.

Cons

A) Less commission than I am used to....significantly less. But I am still new and rebuilding my referral networks, I will need to update this in a year. Even still, I make about half what I made for a similar sized job at my old company.

B) Rapid growing business is chaotic. Lots of time the managers don't even know what is going on next, and sometime when they let you know it has already changed again. When you are the industry leader and blazing an uncharted path forward some of this to be expected.

A) Develop better lines of communication form HQ to Regional Sales Managers to Sales Teams.

B) Consult with at least a representative sample of the sales teams if you are going to make large sweeping changes that will impact the product we are selling (and our livelyhood). Market research needs to be tempered with on the ground intel about what motivates and discourages our client base on a regional basis.

C) DO NOT make major shifts in our product without giving your sales team ample warning and training on what the changes are....we can sell (well) what we ourselves do not fully understand and believe in.

D) If you hire a lot of new sales people, you need to be better about supporting them with leads and lead genearators as they ramp. It is not kind (or good business) to hire ten times as many new sales people as you hire lead generators. You will spend a lot of resources training high quality salespeople that will either quite or be let go because they cannot hit quota or make a living.

Solar is the way to go

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Hard to love a clean energy source

Cons

Training is a mess. Contract is start after 4 expected wks of training yet thats the entire product!

Revamp the entire sales training and start at the 100 level with technical terms, process of installation, thru the sales process. Not everyone is from soal and training is geared toward those with roofing/solar bkgrds. wrong!

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity