SolarCity

www.solarcity.com
  www.solarcity.com
There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

A great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very positive atmosphere; being surrounded by other hard-working, results oriented prople is a great motivator. Pay very competitively but expect a certain level of expertise and effort as a result, which is to be expected.

Cons

High growth rate can put stresses on any company, and the balance between maintaining the great structure that caused the need for this growth and the ability to scale can cause big changes as the company attempts to adapt. Be prepared to be a little flexible, depending on the position you're looking at taking, as roles may adapt over time.

Feedback from employees in "the trenches" may help temper some of the resistance to changes, as feeling not heard isn't going to help overall morale.

437 Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity (View Most Recent)

Difficult to poor place to work as a sales person

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best part of SolarCity is that the product helps the customer and the environment. As a sales person another pro is that the company provides a vehicle and a gas card so that makes expensing an easy issue.

Cons

The worst part of solarcity, as a sales person, is you are hawked over, paid little, and required to do far more than simply sell a good product. In fact the more you sell, the more administrative headaches you get at solarcity. More and more in an effort to cut costs, the salespeople are required to do administrative type of work on customers that have been sold...the average job from start to finish is anywhere from 4 to 6 months, so the customer contacts can be enormous...also there are numerous places where a job can cancel because of various internal installation issues, local building permitting issues, roof issues, etc...you do your job, work 7 days a week and still the jobs get lost (20% company wide), you get your commission taken back....oh yeah and commission....very very low commission now that they have increased their base salary. So low in fact that some jobs will pay you less than $100 and that commission is paid out in 50%, 25% and 25% increments spanning 6 to 7 months....If you leave the company before you have been paid out...you get nothing.

As a career sales person who is used to making 6 figures with relative ease....SolarCity requires you to kill yourself and the chances of you making 6 figures is slim. There are some who do, but they will tell you, they had to create their own system and get away from the company presentations, the company leads, etc. With referral selling you get double the commission because it is a lower cost of acquisition for the company. They should have a 100% commission option. I will leave this company soon because the pay versus the stress level is not worth it at all. referral selling is better b ut there is quite a bit more time involved and $100 or $200 is still next to nothing (small jobs)

SolarCity requires you to sell, create install prelim designs and proposals, lead generate by standing in home depots, attending trade shows, knocking on doors, generating referrals, do follow up admin, work 7 days, nights, mornings, etc, the only thing they have yet to ask sales people to do is install the solar panels, and I am sure this is coming! Your family and personal life will dissappear and your misery level and stress level will go through the roof.

In an effort to cut costs they have screwed their sales people and churn people in and out. Of my training class, over 50% have quit or been fired in less than a year...these are/were all professional sales people, some former sales managers, national sales managers, etc...professionals...and they could not be successful at this company.

It is a shame to, because the product and the concept are great. The competition is fierce, but solarcity is the national leader which helps but also can hurt because they grow so fast they cannot keep up with installs, admin, etc.

Wow...how about quit taking all your cost savings initiatives out of the hides of your sales people who work harder than any of you 5 day a week, corporate folks? How about create materials for outside sales people that are not solely created for the use of inside sales personnel? How about letting lead generators create leads, sales people sell those leads and operations people follow up on the rest? How about saving more jobs? How about paying a decent commission? How about using world-class sales people to create an actual sales presentation that can be used most of the time??? How about not having your mid, upper and senior sales managers micro-managing every aspect of your day? Sales is supposed to be fun and lucrative...at solarcity it is neither...it is a grind and you are only appreciated as much as your most recent end of month performance...

Why not make a 100% commission based 1099 independant contractor position? Your sales management is losing you good people. If you went 1099 and you supported our efforts with decent sales materials...every job we bring in cost you only the commission you pay us....the admin and install is on the company..let the people who want a base salary have one and a car, etc....people who want to sell do not need this or want this...we want freedom and the ability to earn at will...you currently are running a glorified sales-slave business where 7 days a week is expected...and you will not succeed unless you work like this..yeah...no thanks

You are only as good as your number

Former Employee - Field Energy Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can make your own schedule
    my co-workers were great people

Cons

Make no mistake, they WILL fire you if you don't make quota. This is a big company, I had little training and little contact with managers. I made it clear I had entry level sales experience, I was an fea for 2 months before they "Separated" from me. They set me up to fail and someone who had never even met me personally or talked to me before fired me via speaker phone. Part of my quota was how many of my appointments sold, which I had limited control over. If you have new or crappy consultants, your out of luck! I understand that they need to make money off of me being there but the lack of training or coaching and the structure of the position needs to be reassessed. They gave up on me while I was still trying to figure everything out. Most of what I learned about solar and strategy I had learned from my co-workers. My quota wasn't even explained to me by my manager until a week before I had left. Expect anything you need to take forever.This company is growing too fast for its own good and the employees will suffer the growing pains until they figure out best practices. On the upside, I was happy to leave. The work was constant, the stress was high, and my level of frustration with everything by the time I left was something I was glad to unload when I walked out their doors. SolarCity is great for a lot of people, but just know what you are getting into. You are not part of a "team", you are completely expendable.

Train your employees better. Reassess the quota structure so that each employee has full control over their own quota and does not depend on others to make their numbers.

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity