SolarCity

www.solarcity.com
  www.solarcity.com
There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

A great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very positive atmosphere; being surrounded by other hard-working, results oriented prople is a great motivator. Pay very competitively but expect a certain level of expertise and effort as a result, which is to be expected.

Cons

High growth rate can put stresses on any company, and the balance between maintaining the great structure that caused the need for this growth and the ability to scale can cause big changes as the company attempts to adapt. Be prepared to be a little flexible, depending on the position you're looking at taking, as roles may adapt over time.

Feedback from employees in "the trenches" may help temper some of the resistance to changes, as feeling not heard isn't going to help overall morale.

396 Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity (View Most Recent)

Come on board!

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Foster City, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Stable company for someone who is interested in long term growth
    -Brilliant uppermanagement
    -Lots of room for upward mobility within the company

Cons

-Still growing and must be able to adapt to changes

You are only as good as your number

Former Employee - Field Energy Advisor in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Advisor in San Diego, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You can make your own schedule
    my co-workers were great people

Cons

Make no mistake, they WILL fire you if you don't make quota. This is a big company, I had little training and little contact with managers. I made it clear I had entry level sales experience, I was an fea for 2 months before they "Separated" from me. They set me up to fail and someone who had never even met me personally or talked to me before fired me via speaker phone. Part of my quota was how many of my appointments sold, which I had limited control over. If you have new or crappy consultants, your out of luck! I understand that they need to make money off of me being there but the lack of training or coaching and the structure of the position needs to be reassessed. They gave up on me while I was still trying to figure everything out. Most of what I learned about solar and strategy I had learned from my co-workers. My quota wasn't even explained to me by my manager until a week before I had left. Expect anything you need to take forever.This company is growing too fast for its own good and the employees will suffer the growing pains until they figure out best practices. On the upside, I was happy to leave. The work was constant, the stress was high, and my level of frustration with everything by the time I left was something I was glad to unload when I walked out their doors. SolarCity is great for a lot of people, but just know what you are getting into. You are not part of a "team", you are completely expendable.

Train your employees better. Reassess the quota structure so that each employee has full control over their own quota and does not depend on others to make their numbers.

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity