Great opportunities

Current Employee - Manager, Customer Account Management in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Manager, Customer Account Management in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Promotes advancement within and provides continued opportunities for advancement. Working with amazing people who want to change the world. Monthly meetings with executive management.

Cons

At this time I cannot think of cons specific to working at SolarCity.

Advice to Management

Share as much information as possible about the company's successes, challenges and where we are headed. This gives people who may over-focus on their specific job a sense of the bigger picture.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good company but has declined in its core values and customer service.

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary, decent support, potential to move up

Cons

Too much cost cutting, short cutting services, and lack of concern with employee well being.

Advice to Management

Over the year I have seen a steady decline in the stated core values of the company. It seems that too many short cuts and cost cutting measures have resulted in a company that can't possibly keep its promises to the customer. I have seen where these measures has cost the company more in the long run while only saving a small amount in the front end. Services have declined and prices continue to rise. What has set SolarCity apart from other companies has been the superior customer service. Not any more. Ever since the company went public, there seems to be blinders put up to ignore any problems that the short cuts and cost cutting have caused to the customers and employees moral. Also, the perception is that the company doesn't seem to care about the wellbeing of the employees, other than giving lip service to it. It's all about the numbers. I feel that the company can excel at both if the focus is there and the emphasis comes from the top down: yes cut cost but not at the expense of losing good service and abusing employees to the breaking point, Also steps need to be taken to insure that management is sensitive to the needs of the employees. Other top companies do it, SolarCity can too, no excuses. Training needs to be done from the top down on many of these issues. A company party will not do it.

A fast paced, growing, challenging and dynamic company to work for.

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Portland, OR

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coming from a self-employed background I find working with an energetic team (no pun intended) with one objective is incredible. SolarCity offers outstanding, top-notch training and a proven system to plug into and thrive. Benefits are excellent too. This is certainly the finest solar energy company in the world. Working for the quantifiably #1 in the industry gives one confidence daily. Lastly, the vision from the top (founders) is world changing for the good of mankind and it's a privilege to be a part of that dream becoming a reality.

Cons

Constant change. Adapting to shifts in the industry as well as internal shifts monthly (sometimes weekly) isn't easy at times. We're not driving branded Tesla's yet :)

Advice to Management

When it comes to encouraging the team to hit their goals use a little less stick and more carrot. Fun, performance based incentives per chance? In all fairness, the SolarCity management team is very professional, focused and experienced from my perspective. Thanks Lyndon & Peter for all you do, you guys rock!