SolarCity

www.solarcity.com

Exciting and at the same time Volitile

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great product
-Disruptive technology
-Feels good to help the environment
-Great coworkers
-Best software being used in the industry
-Company is probably the best positioned company in the industry to last. The company is making strong efforts to make sure we can

Cons

-Relatively low pay for the work and for the industry
-Most poeple feel that the pay scale is very top heavy on the executive level. I'm not talking about CEO level, but all the others.
-There are so many new Directors, and RVP's and Area managers, it is impossible to keep track of the organization. And from the top view, this is probably fine. But for the underlings, it's not comforting to not know who you are actually working for.
-The office is pretty drab. This is not your ping pong, free snacks and Odwala company. This is come in to work, sit in a cubicle and grind.
-No benefits. Seriously, the benefits are really weak. In order to stay a lean, they have trimmed off all the fat. Can we get a gym discount??? Anything?
-Jobs are cancelled if they aren't cookie cutter. We seem to start ideas and team and change them without giving them the full support necessary.
-The company will change direction of the company on a dime. This leaves employees out in the cold many times.

Other Reviews for SolarCity

Fast paced hard work

Former Employee - Energy Efficiency Regional Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Energy Efficiency Regional Operations Manager

I worked at SolarCity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A very well managed company with plenty of opportunity to learn and grow if you are a very hard working, workaholic type person and can maintain a positive, can do attitude regardless of whatever curveballs are thrown your way. The company's commitment to safety is first class and appreciated by all.

Cons

The drive for perfection and improvement is relentless. Results that earn you a bonus and an excellent review one year could be deemed inadequate and get your fired next year. Complacency is not tolerated. Nothing is really ever good enough. This is understandable in a highly competitive business. But it stresses employees to the max and makes it hard to maintain morale. Expect to work long hours and forget about being able to take any time off and don't get sick. The term "work life balance" is openly mocked by management. You are expected to make the company your first priority and any family obligations a distant second.

Get more ahead of the curve in working smarter rather than making people work harder. Make sure people aren't pushed so hard they burn out.

You can't get rid of me I'm working hard to stay!!!

Current Employee - Crew Lead  in  Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Crew Lead in Cranbury, NJ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very culture friendly, cherish the fact that promotions are from within-: from Crew Leads to ROM's one just need the proper work ethic coupled with the right workplace character, a lot of work,

Cons

bundle up winter is coming!!!

I'm all about helping the small man however from a business point of view what is best for the company is always first. In this weeks Team meeting I saw/heard where SolarCity will be donating a PV Solar system to selected Schools from any third world Country around the world "kudos to you SolarCity" now let me use this medium to throw my selection in the box (Mitchell's Hill Jr. High Sch. from Mitchells Hill, Clarendon Jamaica. btw maybe in the next quarterly or monthly prize running instead of winning a T-shirt an Employee/installer can win a small PV Solar System for his/her home. just a thought. keep the consistency coming!!!

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity.

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!