SolarCity

www.solarcity.com

They use an altruistic company objective to exploit their workforce

Inside Energy Consultant (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

Pros-The people who work at SolarCity are second to none. Great people to be around, and they are all very passionate about their work.

ConsGot hired into a department that was dissolved two weeks after I began. I was given an ultimatum to either join the solar sales team or find employment elsewhere. Two weeks into solar sales we were told that our sales team would be dissolved by the end of the year, and so we had to start looking at different career opportunities. Spent the remaining three months watching the team get managed out of the business.

In my time with the company I saw:

-Employees get put on TWO WEEK Performance Improvement Plans after falling short of their ramp-up targets. These employees were promptly fired at the end of their ten day PIP. In my opinion, two weeks is hardly enough time to deliver sales results in an industry that has an average sales cycle of about 10 days.
-Women colleagues were asked to explain to team managers in writing about how they would compete in a "male dominated profession"
-Three separate departments where dissolved and many of their team members quietly laid off without any sort of discussion about the business justification for these decisions.

A word of advice to anyone considering working at SolarCity: Management preaches about their undying commitment to save the planet with solar. However, as a publicly traded company, management is beholden to one thing only: Delivering a profit to share holders. They have not turned a profit yet, and will continue to make cost cutting maneuvers until they can get out of the red. Ultimately, there is no end in site for the business volatility, menial pay, and aggressive management techniques. If you are 100% committed to selling solar, do it with a company that will justly compensate you for your time and commitment.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you continue to treat employees like expendable resources, you are going to have a bigger issue then the utility companies to deal with.

Good company but has declined in its core values and customer service.

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros: Salary, decent support, potential to move up Cons: Too much cost cutting, short cutting services, and lack of… Advice to Senior Management: Over the year I have seen a steady decline in the stated core values of the company. It seems that too many short cuts… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Great opportunities

Manager, Customer Account Management (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Promotes advancement within and provides continued opportunities for advancement. Working with amazing… Cons: At this time I cannot think of cons specific to… Advice to Senior Management: Share as much information as possible about the company's successes, challenges and where we are headed.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on SolarCity.

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!