SolarCity

www.solarcity.com

They use an altruistic company objective to exploit their workforce

Former Employee - Inside Energy Consultant  in  San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - Inside Energy Consultant in San Mateo, CA

Pros

-The people who work at SolarCity are second to none. Great people to be around, and they are all very passionate about their work.

Cons

Got hired into a department that was dissolved two weeks after I began. I was given an ultimatum to either join the solar sales team or find employment elsewhere. Two weeks into solar sales we were told that our sales team would be dissolved by the end of the year, and so we had to start looking at different career opportunities. Spent the remaining three months watching the team get managed out of the business.

In my time with the company I saw:

-Employees get put on TWO WEEK Performance Improvement Plans after falling short of their ramp-up targets. These employees were promptly fired at the end of their ten day PIP. In my opinion, two weeks is hardly enough time to deliver sales results in an industry that has an average sales cycle of about 10 days.
-Women colleagues were asked to explain to team managers in writing about how they would compete in a "male dominated profession"
-Three separate departments where dissolved and many of their team members quietly laid off without any sort of discussion about the business justification for these decisions.

A word of advice to anyone considering working at SolarCity: Management preaches about their undying commitment to save the planet with solar. However, as a publicly traded company, management is beholden to one thing only: Delivering a profit to share holders. They have not turned a profit yet, and will continue to make cost cutting maneuvers until they can get out of the red. Ultimately, there is no end in site for the business volatility, menial pay, and aggressive management techniques. If you are 100% committed to selling solar, do it with a company that will justly compensate you for your time and commitment.

If you continue to treat employees like expendable resources, you are going to have a bigger issue then the utility companies to deal with.

Other reviews for SolarCity

Great opportunity with a great company!

Current Employee - Site Auditor  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Site Auditor in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great advancement opportunities
    Fun incentives
    Positive and motivating work environment

Cons

No cons at this time. I guess that would be a pro not a con.

Good company but has declined in its core values and customer service.

Pros

Salary, decent support, potential to move up

Cons

Too much cost cutting, short cutting services, and lack of concern with employee well being.

Over the year I have seen a steady decline in the stated core values of the company. It seems that too many short cuts and cost cutting measures have resulted in a company that can't possibly keep its promises to the customer. I have seen where these measures has cost the company more in the long run while only saving a small amount in the front end.

Services have declined and prices continue to rise. What has set SolarCity apart from other companies has been the superior customer service. Not any more.

Ever since the company went public, there seems to be blinders put up to ignore any problems that the short cuts and cost cutting have caused to the customers and employees moral.

Also, the perception is that the company doesn't seem to care about the wellbeing of the employees, other than giving lip service to it. It's all about the numbers.

I feel that the company can excel at both if the focus is there and the emphasis comes from the top down: yes cut cost but not at the expense of losing good service and abusing employees to the breaking point, Also steps need to be taken to insure that management is sensitive to the needs of the employees. Other top companies do it, SolarCity can too, no excuses.

Training needs to be done from the top down on many of these issues. A company party will not do it.

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity.

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!