There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

They use an altruistic company objective to exploit their workforce

Former Employee - Inside Energy Consultant in San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - Inside Energy Consultant in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-The people who work at SolarCity are second to none. Great people to be around, and they are all very passionate about their work.

Cons

Got hired into a department that was dissolved two weeks after I began. I was given an ultimatum to either join the solar sales team or find employment elsewhere. Two weeks into solar sales we were told that our sales team would be dissolved by the end of the year, and so we had to start looking at different career opportunities. Spent the remaining three months watching the team get managed out of the business.

In my time with the company I saw:

-Employees get put on TWO WEEK Performance Improvement Plans after falling short of their ramp-up targets. These employees were promptly fired at the end of their ten day PIP. In my opinion, two weeks is hardly enough time to deliver sales results in an industry that has an average sales cycle of about 10 days.
-Women colleagues were asked to explain to team managers in writing about how they would compete in a "male dominated profession"
-Three separate departments where dissolved and many of their team members quietly laid off without any sort of discussion about the business justification for these decisions.

A word of advice to anyone considering working at SolarCity: Management preaches about their undying commitment to save the planet with solar. However, as a publicly traded company, management is beholden to one thing only: Delivering a profit to share holders. They have not turned a profit yet, and will continue to make cost cutting maneuvers until they can get out of the red. Ultimately, there is no end in site for the business volatility, menial pay, and aggressive management techniques. If you are 100% committed to selling solar, do it with a company that will justly compensate you for your time and commitment.

If you continue to treat employees like expendable resources, you are going to have a bigger issue then the utility companies to deal with.

reviews filtered by

Great if your new to sales and dont have to feed a family

Former Employee - Senior Inside Energy Consultant in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Energy Consultant in Sacramento, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They like to think it is a fun place to work.

Cons

In my 10 years of sales experience I have never been asked to work that hard for he amount of money they pay you. In the interview they will sell you on how great the company is and how reps here make over $100k a year. Which is not the case an average rep there makes $40k a year if you make it to a year. There is a very high turn over. The product they want you to sell is most expensive in the industry and is not even close to the best. They will want you to drink the company juice and get of the "we are the best ship", but its smoke and mirrors. It is a 2 week training for a reason, if you actually learned about the products and what the competition is selling you will have a hard time selling this product to your friends and family. If this is your first sales gig or you only option for employment do it till you find something better, but this is not a company that you can build a career with. Good luck

Stop worrying about growing the business as fast as possible and focus on running the best solar company possible. rapid growth + poorly ran = bubble

Great opportunities

Current Employee - Manager, Customer Account Management in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Manager, Customer Account Management in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Promotes advancement within and provides continued opportunities for advancement. Working with amazing people who want to change the world. Monthly meetings with executive management.

Cons

At this time I cannot think of cons specific to working at SolarCity.

Share as much information as possible about the company's successes, challenges and where we are headed. This gives people who may over-focus on their specific job a sense of the bigger picture.

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity