Fast-Paced, Ever-Changing, Great Upper, Questionable Middle

Former Employee - PV Designer in San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - PV Designer in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-An awesome company that is built in every way to become the industry leader
-Led by very bright individuals that can steer the company to unrivaled success within this space.
-Perks that emulate popular software startups such as snacks, soda fountain, and off site parties.
-Positive work culture that fosters healthy team building.

Cons

Before I proceed, I must say that my time with SC in general was an unforgettable experience in the most positive way. All of these cons are simply attributed to growing pains that can be rectified when the company infrastructure gets cleared out.

-The biggest complaint by everyone under the top is the compensation. Any position between actual installation and sale is realistically a waste process to the business model, so they cannot afford to compensate talent where appropriate.
-Highly dependent on the drive and motivation of people wanting to see a greener future. All others become apart of their high turnaround statistic across all departments.
-The majority of the middle management is comprised of kids that grew into the role from their start with the company. Most of which had minimal to no management experience prior. Many of which have little to no experience in other companies and/or industries.
-Individual opinions are welcomed, but rarely heard and digested.
-Going above and beyond does not get noticed unless you make it heard, as visibility in the middle down is often lacking.
-Metrics for many positions are poorly designed and do not account for labor input, rather than value produced.
-Many feel like hamsters in wheels rather than valued employees

Advice to Management

You are in a great position to do something positive in the world while reaching a level of success that many other companies can never attain. Sometimes, to get to the top, you have to foster the brilliance you have within your doors, and let them bloom.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

SolarCity upward mobility and great people

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with amazing people. Lots of potential for career growth for those who work hard, do well, and express an interest. It feels great to sell something that is changing the world and helping families. It's even better to do it at a company that is looking at the long term... not just the here and now.

Cons

Long hours, but fulfilling. If you're uncomfortable with "change," this may not be the company for you. If you embrace new ideas and ways of doing things, you may find a home at SolarCity.

Advice to Management

Keep the lines of communication open as we continue to grow.

This is the best experience of my professional career.

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, dedicated, highly-trained colleagues make this job fun. If you want to learn something new every day, come to work at SolarCity.

Cons

Long hours. But then again, I've always worked long hours. This is not an automatic-sell to potential customers because the general public is still unfamiliar with the concept. That's why the best sales team on the planet works here.

Advice to Management

Keep listening - even as growth makes that more difficult.