SolarCity
www.solarcity.com San Mateo, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Fast-Paced, Ever-Changing, Great Upper, Questionable Middle

PV Designer (Former Employee)
San Mateo, CA

Pros-An awesome company that is built in every way to become the industry leader
-Led by very bright individuals that can steer the company to unrivaled success within this space.
-Perks that emulate popular software startups such as snacks, soda fountain, and off site parties.
-Positive work culture that fosters healthy team building.

ConsBefore I proceed, I must say that my time with SC in general was an unforgettable experience in the most positive way. All of these cons are simply attributed to growing pains that can be rectified when the company infrastructure gets cleared out.

-The biggest complaint by everyone under the top is the compensation. Any position between actual installation and sale is realistically a waste process to the business model, so they cannot afford to compensate talent where appropriate.
-Highly dependent on the drive and motivation of people wanting to see a greener future. All others become apart of their high turnaround statistic across all departments.
-The majority of the middle management is comprised of kids that grew into the role from their start with the company. Most of which had minimal to no management experience prior. Many of which have little to no experience in other companies and/or industries.
-Individual opinions are welcomed, but rarely heard and digested.
-Going above and beyond does not get noticed unless you make it heard, as visibility in the middle down is often lacking.
-Metrics for many positions are poorly designed and do not account for labor input, rather than value produced.
-Many feel like hamsters in wheels rather than valued employees

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are in a great position to do something positive in the world while reaching a level of success that many other companies can never attain. Sometimes, to get to the top, you have to foster the brilliance you have within your doors, and let them bloom.

There is No Place Like SolarCity!

Field Sales Representative (Current Employee)
    Blackwood, NJ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros: Working at SolarCity is a very stress free no pressure environment that make it a pleaure to wake up and go to work every day.I… Cons: I really do not have anything bad to say about… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Empty Promises

Field Energy Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros: Coworkers are great and try to help eachother as much… Cons: Very low pay, They will inflate your potential earnings at your interview and they will change your commission structure and pay you less the longer… Advice to Senior Management: BE HONEST with your employees. Offer to help them when they are struggling and take the time… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on SolarCity.

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!

SolarCity – Why Work for Us?

Elon Musk at TED - 2013: "Solar will be the plurality of power within 20 years" SolarCity Delivers Better Energy SolarCity is a national leader in clean energy services. We make clean energy available to homeowners… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SolarCity reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SolarCity CEO Lyndon Rive. All reviews posted anonymously by SolarCity employees.