SolarCity

www.solarcity.com
  www.solarcity.com
There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

fantastic interviewing experience.

I have been working at SolarCity as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

able to interview with variety of decision makers. Learned valuable information about the company and the open position. leaders and managers were so personable and professional at the same time

Cons

none at this time that can be shared

345 Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity (View Most Recent)

This is the best experience of my professional career.

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Smart, dedicated, highly-trained colleagues make this job fun. If you want to learn something new every day, come to work at SolarCity.

Cons

Long hours. But then again, I've always worked long hours. This is not an automatic-sell to potential customers because the general public is still unfamiliar with the concept. That's why the best sales team on the planet works here.

Keep listening - even as growth makes that more difficult.

SolarCity is a company with an optimistic future and lots of room to better itself.

Current Employee - Operations  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very talented and well connected executives. Benefits are good. Stock options are especially lucrative for those who have been working for the company since before the IPO. But either way, its nice knowing that everyone is a part owner in the company. Expect to work side by side with positive people who enjoy their jobs. SolarCity is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the solar industry.

The company does a good job of promoting from within, while at the same time bringing in outside talent when necessary.

Cons

Right now, middle management could be stronger. SolarCity grows very rapidly and is forced to hire very quickly. Unfortunately, with the current model, they can not afford to be a company that's slow to hire and quick to fire. At times, the company has no choice but to hire or promote someone that is not quite qualified for the job yet.

We need to stress quality in every position from sales to install, not just speed. The operation moves fast and efficiently, thats great. The problem is that employees are making small mistakes that collectively cost the company a lot of money to fix. The operation is also designed so that employee #2 ends up fixing employee #1's mistakes. Employee #1 may be unaware that they ever make a mistake in the first place, and so is unable to learn from the error. A dedicated and detail oriented quality control manager in each office would pay for itself many times over.

Operating costs are through the roof. Local management needs to do something to curtail overtime hours and wasted materials. If SolarCity wants to survive without incentives, they won't be able to afford to be paying overtime, simple as that. Truth is, not very much is accomplished in the 9th or 10th hour of the work day anyways. Send people home, let them rest and spend time with their families. They will be more effective tomorrow. We have proved that we can grow at an outrageous pace, now lets show the skeptics that we can make a profit.

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!