There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

I am Living My Dreams!!

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant- Sales in San Luis Obispo, CA
Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant- Sales in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

So, I am in a "sales" position, but I don't have to ask people for money. It's really that simple. I offer people power at a lower rate than they pay now. No money up front. Savings in the first month. This is the easiest thing I've ever "sold".

SolarCity is and will continue to change the world. I am so happy to be a part of it. The amount of sales required per month is minimal. We actually aren't judged on "sales" per se, but we are judged on how many "Families" we have helped. It is small and simple, but the mentality of what I do every day is based on helping. Helping save humanity, helping families save money on their bills, or helping people become educated on a new alternative to monopolistic utility corporations. The company fosters this type of thinking.

Also, we give solar power and lighting to a 3rd world school for every 1MW of solar we install on peoples homes. Helping to increase education levels in the world is very important to me, and it really makes me feel good that our founders care.

I am also a supporter of the philosophies of Elon Musk, our chairman, together we are making a positive impact on the world. I am a very proud person right now.

Cons

This is a disruptive technology that is changing a very entrenched sector of our reality. With this comes some uncertainty (as with any company, there are no crystal balls).

If you want to sit back and collect a check, go work somewhere else. We are changing the world, and it's hard work. So you must do hard work to make this change. I feel great after working hard, some people don't.

The only constant in life is CHANGE. Get used to it, be adaptable. Lots of change here. Mostly all good.

You have to understand the long term goals of SolarCity. Understand why they do or change what they do. Then it all makes sense.

I would have to say that training could be more effective and more extensive.

As always, there are some people who complain and are lazy. Stay away from that negativity, and stick to the people with great attitudes and work ethics.

Advice to Management

Deconstruct the sales process to the basic parts. Train those only, first. Then layer advanced trainings in along the way. This is a very easy and basic sale. I think people who haven't succeeded yet are complicating the consultation.

reviews filtered by

The first job I ever had where the management was smarter than me. Work here if you can.

Current Employee - Field Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Field Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You are given free room to succeed, and success is noticed and rewarded by direct and senior management. Lots of opportunity for rapid career advancement and development. The company is full of smart, interesting, motivated people. Management has yet to do something that I wouldn't do in their place. The epitome of "doing well by doing good". I turned down a much better paying job when I joined SolarCity, and I made the right decision.

Cons

The company is very de-centralized in terms of employee locations, so there may be a lot of variety in experience. I am not an employee working out of HQ. Many employees are relatively autonomous in the field (for better and worse). This is not a place to coast and requires a large commitment of time and energy. SolarCity decisions can be strict at times, but they're always logical and ultimately fair.

Advice to Management

Stop making video montages to music. Just stop. No. Shhhh...no.

A very pleasant work enviroment

Current Employee - Inspector Coordinator in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Inspector Coordinator in Fresno, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits are great good work environment

Cons

Very little room for growth (promotion)

Advice to Management

Promote those that work hard and take pride in there work

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity