I am Living My Dreams!!

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant- Sales in San Luis Obispo, CA
Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant- Sales in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So, I am in a "sales" position, but I don't have to ask people for money. It's really that simple. I offer people power at a lower rate than they pay now. No money up front. Savings in the first month. This is the easiest thing I've ever "sold". SolarCity is and will continue to change the world. I am so happy to be a part of it. The amount of sales required per month is minimal. We actually aren't judged on "sales" per se, but we are judged on how many "Families" we have helped. It is small and simple, but the mentality of what I do every day is based on helping. Helping save humanity, helping families save money on their bills, or helping people become educated on a new alternative to monopolistic utility corporations. The company fosters this type of thinking. Also, we give solar power and lighting to a 3rd world school for every 1MW of solar we install on peoples homes. Helping to increase education levels in the world is very important to me, and it really makes me feel good that our founders care. I am also a supporter of the philosophies of Elon Musk, our chairman, together we are making a positive impact on the world. I am a very proud person right now.

Cons

This is a disruptive technology that is changing a very entrenched sector of our reality. With this comes some uncertainty (as with any company, there are no crystal balls). If you want to sit back and collect a check, go work somewhere else. We are changing the world, and it's hard work. So you must do hard work to make this change. I feel great after working hard, some people don't. The only constant in life is CHANGE. Get used to it, be adaptable. Lots of change here. Mostly all good. You have to understand the long term goals of SolarCity. Understand why they do or change what they do. Then it all makes sense. I would have to say that training could be more effective and more extensive. As always, there are some people who complain and are lazy. Stay away from that negativity, and stick to the people with great attitudes and work ethics.

Advice to Management

Deconstruct the sales process to the basic parts. Train those only, first. Then layer advanced trainings in along the way. This is a very easy and basic sale. I think people who haven't succeeded yet are complicating the consultation.

Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity

Don't Drink The Kool Aid Until You Know How It's Made!

Former Employee - Inside Commercial Sales in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Commercial Sales in Foster City, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having worked at Solarcity as well as a number of other solar companies in the San Francisco Bay Area, here's my perspective on working in the "Green" . . ."Clean Tech" . . . "feel good industry" of solar power. Pros: No question solar power is good for the environment No question SolarCity, SunPower, SunPower and your local community installer are helping to create a distributed infrastructure of clean energy. No question American Jobs are being created! No question these jobs are a great learning experience for 1st time job seekers or those looking to make a career transition. Now the Cons . . . or more aptly . . . the truth about working in solar. Read on . . .

Cons

First you have to strip away the feel good gloss and see what the industry is really all about - making money in a Wall St. kind of way, with all the associated thrills, ills and obfuscations - Solar Leases, PPAs, Solar Loans. So far SolarCity, Sunngevity and to a certain extent, SunPower have failed the "making money part". So how do you make money in the solar industry if you're SolarCity or Sungevity, or Vernego, or Sungate, or RealGoods Solar or . . . the list goes on and on. The only chance you have is to pay exceeding low wages for non sales positions, or dangle the carrot to those sales personnel who think they can make a six figure salary with relative ease (50 hr work week, which should be the minimum for any sales position that has potential). Now, please note this does not include c-level executives because that's the way capitalism works! And capitalism is about making money, and more money and more money. And Solar power is about being green, saving the planet and feeling good about one's lower monthly electric bill. Unfortunately, when you put the two together, people get burned. You just have to read a few of Solarcity's GlassDoor reviews to feel the ill will towards the company. After reading most of the SolarCity review, I found they fell into four categories: 1. A certain number of reviews just seems to be made up to compensate for the 1 star reviews. These reviews seem to be short, vague and generated by someone who needs to take a course in creative writing. If you're going to make up a review, put some meat into it! Here's an example: I love working at Solarcity because I get to experience the interaction between high level finance, construction, logistics and public policy while helping to build America's clean tech infrastructure . . . one roof at a time! Oh, sign me up!! 2. People who have just gotten their first job and are just elated to be employed, and even more elated to be saving the planet. 3. People who took the solar hook, bait line and sinker, and quickly found out they're working at a glorified roofing company cloaked in the veil of a feel good green company. 4. Sales folks who realized that selling solar in a tough business. And even tougher once you realize the touted offerings (no down solar leases/ppa) are typically the worst investment for the residential homeowner. So as the title of my post states: Don't Drink The Kool Aid Until You Know How It's Made! And more importantly, do your due diligence before applying/accepting a job. Best, Big Volt

Advice to Management

One word . . . Altruism!

Chew you up and spit you out

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved SolarCity at first. Great co-workers and my job itself was challenging and fun. And to be part of a movement that is helping our planet felt good too. I saw this company as a place I would like to retire from and I am relatively young.

Cons

Then the honeymoon was over. You were told you weren't working fast enough or doing enough. I was told "you don't have to work harder, but smarter." Meanwhile, tools weren't provided to do so and you ended up working long hours at a low salary pay. I worked many 10-12 hour days. People were burned out and the stress and tension in the air made it tough to work there. While I loved the employees I worked with, the lack of work/life balance really takes a toll. Management is really poor in certain departments and unless you're in sales, training is quite poor. If you have any issues or go to HR, they are no help and very disorganized as well. It's appalling as HR is pretty cut and dry and not a new industry like solar. No excuses there.

Advice to Management

I know as a publicly traded company now, you have to turn a profit and get out of the red and cutting back/cutting corners is inevitable. But burning your employees is not a wise solution. More often than not, successful companies have mostly happy employees. While most of the reviews on here are 5-star and short, I think they have been created artificially by the recruiting team to make potential new hires want to work there. While I worked for your establishment, many employees were unhappy. I hope this review might raise more awareness as I see your potential to be successful and I truly believe in your cause.