There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

I am Living My Dreams!!

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant- Sales in San Luis Obispo, CA
Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant- Sales in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

So, I am in a "sales" position, but I don't have to ask people for money. It's really that simple. I offer people power at a lower rate than they pay now. No money up front. Savings in the first month. This is the easiest thing I've ever "sold".

SolarCity is and will continue to change the world. I am so happy to be a part of it. The amount of sales required per month is minimal. We actually aren't judged on "sales" per se, but we are judged on how many "Families" we have helped. It is small and simple, but the mentality of what I do every day is based on helping. Helping save humanity, helping families save money on their bills, or helping people become educated on a new alternative to monopolistic utility corporations. The company fosters this type of thinking.

Also, we give solar power and lighting to a 3rd world school for every 1MW of solar we install on peoples homes. Helping to increase education levels in the world is very important to me, and it really makes me feel good that our founders care.

I am also a supporter of the philosophies of Elon Musk, our chairman, together we are making a positive impact on the world. I am a very proud person right now.

Cons

This is a disruptive technology that is changing a very entrenched sector of our reality. With this comes some uncertainty (as with any company, there are no crystal balls).

If you want to sit back and collect a check, go work somewhere else. We are changing the world, and it's hard work. So you must do hard work to make this change. I feel great after working hard, some people don't.

The only constant in life is CHANGE. Get used to it, be adaptable. Lots of change here. Mostly all good.

You have to understand the long term goals of SolarCity. Understand why they do or change what they do. Then it all makes sense.

I would have to say that training could be more effective and more extensive.

As always, there are some people who complain and are lazy. Stay away from that negativity, and stick to the people with great attitudes and work ethics.

Deconstruct the sales process to the basic parts. Train those only, first. Then layer advanced trainings in along the way. This is a very easy and basic sale. I think people who haven't succeeded yet are complicating the consultation.

reviews filtered by

Chew you up and spit you out

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved SolarCity at first. Great co-workers and my job itself was challenging and fun. And to be part of a movement that is helping our planet felt good too. I saw this company as a place I would like to retire from and I am relatively young.

Cons

Then the honeymoon was over. You were told you weren't working fast enough or doing enough. I was told "you don't have to work harder, but smarter." Meanwhile, tools weren't provided to do so and you ended up working long hours at a low salary pay. I worked many 10-12 hour days. People were burned out and the stress and tension in the air made it tough to work there. While I loved the employees I worked with, the lack of work/life balance really takes a toll.

Management is really poor in certain departments and unless you're in sales, training is quite poor. If you have any issues or go to HR, they are no help and very disorganized as well. It's appalling as HR is pretty cut and dry and not a new industry like solar. No excuses there.

I know as a publicly traded company now, you have to turn a profit and get out of the red and cutting back/cutting corners is inevitable. But burning your employees is not a wise solution. More often than not, successful companies have mostly happy employees. While most of the reviews on here are 5-star and short, I think they have been created artificially by the recruiting team to make potential new hires want to work there. While I worked for your establishment, many employees were unhappy. I hope this review might raise more awareness as I see your potential to be successful and I truly believe in your cause.

Awesome companhy to Work for

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You create your destiny, if you work hard and smart you can conquor mountains and build yourself a great business of referrals. Management is helpful and can assist in complicated issues.

Cons

Lots of change and some people are very new, but things are improving in this area. Management is sometimes overwhelmed and your immediate needs maybe put off for a while.

Promote from within and look at peoples past successes before making a decision

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity