I am Living My Dreams!!

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant- Sales in San Luis Obispo, CA
Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant- Sales in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

So, I am in a "sales" position, but I don't have to ask people for money. It's really that simple. I offer people power at a lower rate than they pay now. No money up front. Savings in the first month. This is the easiest thing I've ever "sold". SolarCity is and will continue to change the world. I am so happy to be a part of it. The amount of sales required per month is minimal. We actually aren't judged on "sales" per se, but we are judged on how many "Families" we have helped. It is small and simple, but the mentality of what I do every day is based on helping. Helping save humanity, helping families save money on their bills, or helping people become educated on a new alternative to monopolistic utility corporations. The company fosters this type of thinking. Also, we give solar power and lighting to a 3rd world school for every 1MW of solar we install on peoples homes. Helping to increase education levels in the world is very important to me, and it really makes me feel good that our founders care. I am also a supporter of the philosophies of Elon Musk, our chairman, together we are making a positive impact on the world. I am a very proud person right now.

Cons

This is a disruptive technology that is changing a very entrenched sector of our reality. With this comes some uncertainty (as with any company, there are no crystal balls). If you want to sit back and collect a check, go work somewhere else. We are changing the world, and it's hard work. So you must do hard work to make this change. I feel great after working hard, some people don't. The only constant in life is CHANGE. Get used to it, be adaptable. Lots of change here. Mostly all good. You have to understand the long term goals of SolarCity. Understand why they do or change what they do. Then it all makes sense. I would have to say that training could be more effective and more extensive. As always, there are some people who complain and are lazy. Stay away from that negativity, and stick to the people with great attitudes and work ethics.

Advice to Management

Deconstruct the sales process to the basic parts. Train those only, first. Then layer advanced trainings in along the way. This is a very easy and basic sale. I think people who haven't succeeded yet are complicating the consultation.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Fast paced, profitable, & changing the world for good!

Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I wake up everyday knowing that I am making a difference locally, nationally, and globally. We are growing so fast that there are great opportunities for people willing to work hard and make a difference! I got great tools day #1 to do my job. In general I get to spend 90% of my time and mental energy with customers and coworkers who pump me up and give me faith in our future.

Cons

We are growing so fast that some great, well meaning folks who believe in our mission, but need a lot more guidance, can get left behind. You really need to be on your game coming into this company.

Advice to Management

Make sure we keep hiring people who really do have what it takes (heart, drive, talent) to keep this industry thriving for the long term. That means sometimes not hiring the best salesman in the short term to get the salesperson that cares most about quality in the long term.

Mission Driven Company

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Meaningful work to enable people to go solar - Disruptor in the energy space and part of the solution the world needs to reduce global warming - People are really friendly, nice, and easygoing. The culture is one of the best. - Very fair compensation plan that pays for performance - Upper management is visionary and clearly is in it for the long haul instead of trying to take the profit and run - A lot of changes translate to a lot of opportunities - Depending on your team, some managers are open-minded to ideas for improvement and processes to enhance efficiency - Some coworkers are hardworking and are smart

Cons

- A lot of changes which sometimes can mean uncertainty - Many back end teams are overworked because most resources went into investing in growing the sales organization - Depending on your team, promotion can be slow - Compensation is not the best - Market is still being developed - Depending on your career stage/age/motivation, work can grow to be boring

Advice to Management

Great companies are built on great talents. Increase compensation to attract motivated and talented contributors, enhance learning opportunities, and implement something like the 20% time Google has to encourage employees to think critically to improve processes and operations, because people who work here are really passionate and care about the mission of the company.