There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

Managers have nice titles but no credibility

I worked at SolarCity

Pros

They're strong believers in their ways. Their stock is doing well so far. That's about all the positivity I can think of.

Cons

Managers have titles but no real experience in managing. Don't expect any face-to-face training or managing. They hire you for your experience but don't use any of it. I had more experience than my managers, but they had no interest in any of my input. Managers will expect you to give your life to the company, but won't show any support for your efforts. A couple of Energy Advisors were let go because of "lack of production", but if NO ONE is hitting the numbers they expected, isn't it time to look at managements' decisions rather than fire people? It'll be flowers and sunshine at first, but please look deeper into things before signing up for the solar cult. If you have experience in sales and/or marketing, you will be frustrated in their managing practices.

Advice to Management

I would give some suggestions but they weren't interested in my input as an employee so I'm not interested in offering advice now.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Chew you up and spit you out

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved SolarCity at first. Great co-workers and my job itself was challenging and fun. And to be part of a movement that is helping our planet felt good too. I saw this company as a place I would like to retire from and I am relatively young.

Cons

Then the honeymoon was over. You were told you weren't working fast enough or doing enough. I was told "you don't have to work harder, but smarter." Meanwhile, tools weren't provided to do so and you ended up working long hours at a low salary pay. I worked many 10-12 hour days. People were burned out and the stress and tension in the air made it tough to work there. While I loved the employees I worked with, the lack of work/life balance really takes a toll. Management is really poor in certain departments and unless you're in sales, training is quite poor. If you have any issues or go to HR, they are no help and very disorganized as well. It's appalling as HR is pretty cut and dry and not a new industry like solar. No excuses there.

Advice to Management

I know as a publicly traded company now, you have to turn a profit and get out of the red and cutting back/cutting corners is inevitable. But burning your employees is not a wise solution. More often than not, successful companies have mostly happy employees. While most of the reviews on here are 5-star and short, I think they have been created artificially by the recruiting team to make potential new hires want to work there. While I worked for your establishment, many employees were unhappy. I hope this review might raise more awareness as I see your potential to be successful and I truly believe in your cause.

this is not really a job, it's a hobby

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Cranbury, NJ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible schedule, that's about it

Cons

bad leads, low commissions, 3 months ramp up period

Advice to Management

bunch of yes-men. lot of turnover.