SolarCity

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

Great starting place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are young this is a great place to get experience and skills. If you are smart and have a good idea, you will likely be heard. If you are consistently smart, you will be given responsibilities way over your pay grade and what your background would justify. The CEO and COO are very likable, and the general level of talent is surprisingly high.

Cons

The opportunity for new responsibility makes it is easy to burn out here. Expect to work long hours. The idea of a work-life balance is openly mocked. The culture is militaristic, you're with us or against us, at war with the utilities, etc. Advancement is very political and sometimes it feels as if you are just as likely to get fired as get promoted. Turnover is high.

Some of the leadership is out of touch, and the idea of a lean start up has been taken to an extreme. Top talent is attracted to this company for great reasons but they are burning out!

430 Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity (View Most Recent)

A Stepping Stone with no pay Raises

I worked at SolarCity

Pros

Good Benefits. A good place to get started in Solar, those who get it down, leave SolarCity and go to other solar companies to make better pay.

Cons

No pay raises. Very high turnover, very unorganized, routinely told to violate code to just "make it happen".

Pay Raises based upon Performance and longevity would keep your extremely high turnover down. I have been here for a less than a year and I feel like a veteran making peanuts fighting to keep the lights on.

Managers have nice titles but no credibility

I worked at SolarCity

Pros

They're strong believers in their ways. Their stock is doing well so far. That's about all the positivity I can think of.

Cons

Managers have titles but no real experience in managing. Don't expect any face-to-face training or managing. They hire you for your experience but don't use any of it. I had more experience than my managers, but they had no interest in any of my input. Managers will expect you to give your life to the company, but won't show any support for your efforts. A couple of Energy Advisors were let go because of "lack of production", but if NO ONE is hitting the numbers they expected, isn't it time to look at managements' decisions rather than fire people? It'll be flowers and sunshine at first, but please look deeper into things before signing up for the solar cult. If you have experience in sales and/or marketing, you will be frustrated in their managing practices.

I would give some suggestions but they weren't interested in my input as an employee so I'm not interested in offering advice now.

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity