SolarCity

www.solarcity.com
  www.solarcity.com
There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

Empty promises and total chaos - definitely avoid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time

Pros

You start out feeling like you are contributing to helping the environment, but that goes away quickly. The office and facilities are nice.

Cons

-Upper management definitely acts before it thinks. Examples: Laying someone off only to hire someone to replace them in less than 3 months, relocating an entire department to Las Vegas and then laying everyone off.
-Constant reorganization of departments and reporting structure. Constant title changes (with no compensation bump, of course) so no one really ever knows what anyone else is doing at a given time. Major passing of the buck going on here.
-Unrealistic deadlines and quotas
-They advertise growth opportunities, but when I asked for support in exploring a position in another department I was squashed and completely discouraged. I think it blacklisted me so when it came time to reduce my department I was first to go.

I would absolutely not recommend this company to anyone. Don't be fooled by all the smoke and mirrors and impressive stock prices!

Managers should be accountable. There are a lot of selfish egos in the SolarCity game, guys who want green-tech on their resume for a year or so but have really no idea what they are doing. I think the guys at the top (CEO) have good intentions, but the guys they bring in to make things happen screw things up big time and employees consistently suffer.

437 Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity (View Most Recent)

One of the hardest and worst sales jobs I've ever had.

Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Chatsworth, CA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Chatsworth, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had a good manager that gave me some valuable tools. You're helping the environment. When I was there, if you make 7 sales each month, you will get a company car after 3 months.

Cons

You're basically working hard 7 day's a week. There isn't anything necessarily wrong with that if you can earn a nice size income, but that is not the case. The commission structure is so low which really prevents this.

Every month you start out fresh having to make 7 new sales per month, which is not as easy as they say. If you don't, there is a good chance you will loose your job. Once you make the sale, there is a huge amount of work that needs to be done to keep the client through the final closing which averages 2 - 3 months. You're expected to do all this work to keep the client while you're out trying to makes 7 new sales a month.

The main source of leads, especially for the first 6 months, comes from trying to talk to every person that walks into The Home Depot. That get's old pretty quickly.

Finally I hope they stop telling new recruites that the salary is $50,000 as long as you make the 7 sales per month. That is not the case, it's $35,000.

You need to increase the commissions for salepeople. I know you're a publically traded company that is only worried about the financials for the next quarter. However, you will keep churning people if you keep these practices. Also maybe do some more marketing and advertising to help the salespeople out once in a while with some leads.

This was the nastiest employer I ever worked for.

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They offer a salary and benefits, which is very unusual in this field.

Cons

It is like working for the gestapo. They have unrealistic expectations, do not treat you with respect, and have you on a short tether 7 days a week.

Sensitivity training. Learn to treat ADULT employees like adult human beings.

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity