SolarCity

www.solarcity.com
  www.solarcity.com
There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

Empty promises and total chaos - definitely avoid

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time

Pros

You start out feeling like you are contributing to helping the environment, but that goes away quickly. The office and facilities are nice.

Cons

-Upper management definitely acts before it thinks. Examples: Laying someone off only to hire someone to replace them in less than 3 months, relocating an entire department to Las Vegas and then laying everyone off.
-Constant reorganization of departments and reporting structure. Constant title changes (with no compensation bump, of course) so no one really ever knows what anyone else is doing at a given time. Major passing of the buck going on here.
-Unrealistic deadlines and quotas
-They advertise growth opportunities, but when I asked for support in exploring a position in another department I was squashed and completely discouraged. I think it blacklisted me so when it came time to reduce my department I was first to go.

I would absolutely not recommend this company to anyone. Don't be fooled by all the smoke and mirrors and impressive stock prices!

Managers should be accountable. There are a lot of selfish egos in the SolarCity game, guys who want green-tech on their resume for a year or so but have really no idea what they are doing. I think the guys at the top (CEO) have good intentions, but the guys they bring in to make things happen screw things up big time and employees consistently suffer.

454 Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity (View Most Recent)

Opportunity of a Lifetime!

Current Employee - Regional Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Operations Manager

I have been working at SolarCity full-time

Pros

Rapid growth gives opportunity for advancement. Fulfilling and validating. SolarCity provides jobs for literally thousands of friendly coworkers, good for the environment, saves people money, managers that care about their employees.

Cons

tends to feel a little corporate from time to time, just because of the sheer number of employees. Very fast paced as we claw for market share, sometimes feels a little too fast.

Let's take over the world.

I love my job!

Current Employee - Office Manager in El Paso, TX
    Current Employee - Office Manager in El Paso, TX

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We are making the world a better place; it is awesome to be part of something growing, cutting edge and productive; we are building a great team in our office and it is a pleasure to be a part of it.

Cons

Everything moves at 500 miles per hour; a seat-belt is recommended. This is not a job for sissies, and it takes commitment and concentration to be a contributor.

Keep up the good work; keep us engaged.

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity