SolarCity

www.solarcity.com

One of the Worst Companies in America. Too much to list... "KoolAid"

Planet Saver (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsAll the lies they tell you as you are hired.

ConsI have been with SC for almost 2 years and have worked for three different departments. There are so many CON's its hard to remember them all. I can tell you the biggest con of all is that their rate of growth allows people with little to no experience, selling or installing solar, to be your service provider. The sales person has no technical knowledge of solar, its all done by fancy software that is buggy. The engineers and designers mess up almost 100% of designs and engineering. SolarCity won't even get new designs approved by the city or the customer while the install is already in progress. The installers end up redesigning that morning just to get the job done and "kW on the board", so they don't lose their jobs. Keep in mind these are installers with less than 1 year experience. I don't think there are many crews in my area that have more than 1 guy with over a year of solar experience, and no construction or roof experience at all. It's unreal how many roofs have their lifespan shortened while the unwitting salesperson tells the homeowner solar will make your roof last longer. That's just plain stupidity. Holes don't get patched all the time, wires are put in the wrong places, and the most common saying we use is "it's not my house". Most of these guys have never had to use a square, a level, or a tape measure accurately.

SolarCity's goal is to get you to sign a 20 year contract and blast a solar system onto your roof in as little time as possible. They experiment with equipment on people's multi-million dollar homes, break OSHA rules, and have no regard for the city planning departments at all.

My advice is do not get allow these people in your home. Do not get a system from SolarCity no matter how good the deal seems. Finance your own system and have highly trained professional installers install your system. How can you tell the difference. EASY!

The sales person, auditor, designer, engineer, and installer should all be able to come to your house and talk to you. Take you up on your own roof and show you. Give you a thorough understanding of the materials that will be used. And all these people should say the same thing and not pass the question to the next dept. SolarCity is broken up into so many departments in different area's that NONE of these people ever come in contact with each other, they just blame each other when something goes wrong; instead of worrying about the customers install, roof, and security.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit worrying about your stock price and go back to worrying about the customer and the environment. Quit trying to grow so fast. Quit trying to be so cheap that installer safety is in question. You do not even provide lighting but expect us to work in the dark. You expect us to work in the rain and snow with no additional safety gear provided, and you LIE, LIE, LIE to everyone.

You are being investigated by the US Gov't for over-valuing your systems by a good margin more than the next company.

You do not pay out employee commissions after you ruthlessly fire them.

You constantly put installer safety on the back burner to get a job finished in 1 day.

You let go of almost 20 employees in my area the day before the X-mas party in 2013.

You are everything PG&E is and worse. What you set out to change is what you have become.

The only reason I can see that you were ranked 18th best company in America to work for is because you have people at Headquarters writing those reviews and installers rarely if ever get on computers. If you took the 20 people alone that you fired before X-mas and had them write a review, you would see reality.

AMERICA, DO NOT SUPPORT THIS COMPANY. And yes, I will be quitting shortly.

Great Place to Work!

Field Energy Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros: Fast paced, constant growth, fun/friendly environment, opportunities to move up. Cons: Constant change, a growing disconnect from corporate to field employees… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Opportunity of a Lifetime!

Regional Operations Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at SolarCity full-time

Pros: Rapid growth gives opportunity for advancement. Fulfilling and validating. SolarCity provides jobs for literally thousands… Cons: tends to feel a little corporate from time to time, just because of the sheer number… Advice to Senior Management: Let's take over the world. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on SolarCity.

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!