There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

Horrible place to work!

Former Contractor - Temp in San Mateo, CA
Former Contractor - Temp in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Nothing good about working here. The best thing was that I was only a temp, so I could leave asap!

Cons

I hated working here! The management was rude, and they treated the temps so badly. People were rude, mean, and angry all the time. I could tell people were talking behind my back, and I was often criticized for things that weren't in my control. I tried my best to get along with everyone, but I was given attitude every single day. Do yourself a favor and don't work here!

Please treat your staff better!

reviews filtered by

so far so good

I have been working at SolarCity

Pros

exciting industry leading company. Fast paced work environment

Cons

you'll definitely have to earn your money

Industry Leader But Not The Best Place To Pursue Your Sales Career

Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in San Jose, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Solar City is the undisputed leader in the clean energy industry and the upper management is extremely competent. They're well funded, have developed excellent partnerships, and have streamlined the mass residential solar installation process. I wouldn't be surprised if Solar City totally eliminated all of the competition within the next ten years- maybe sooner.

Cons

As a Field Energy Consultant most (if not all) of your leads will be self-generated. The majority of a new reps business comes from Home Depot. This entails standing in Home Depot for hours, cold calling on customers who walk by. Many customers have already been approached by reps and will try to walk by as fast as possible to avoid you. Occasionally, you will set an appointment. Some of these appointments will cancel, some will meet with you, and every now and then you'll close one. Afterwards, you'll be asked by your manager to get referrals from existing clients, knock on doors, and try to sell as many family members/friends as possible.

The turnover rate for this position is enormous. The quota is difficult to achieve. You'll have three months to ramp- and if not, off with your head. The majority of successful reps come from a previous role as inside sales rep with Solar City. They already have a referral base that's enough to supplement their business and in effect- hit quota.

The base is minimal (35K). You'll be forced to drop price because of competition or other various reasons. I did many deals for about 100 bucks in commission. Expect to make about 4 to 6k a month.

Elon Musk and his cousins who run Solar City probably don't need advice. As the Solar City stock price continues to soar, their vision of Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams becomes more clear. They can care less about former sales reps posting on GlassDoor.

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity