SolarCity

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

Horrible place to work!

Former Employee - Temp  in  San Mateo, CA
Former Employee - Temp in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Nothing good about working here. The best thing was that I was only a temp, so I could leave asap!

Cons

I hated working here! The management was rude, and they treated the temps so badly. People were rude, mean, and angry all the time. I could tell people were talking behind my back, and I was often criticized for things that weren't in my control. I tried my best to get along with everyone, but I was given attitude every single day. Do yourself a favor and don't work here!

Please treat your staff better!

360 Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity (View Most Recent)

Industry Leader But Not The Best Place To Pursue Your Sales Career

Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in San Jose, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time for less than a year

Pros

Solar City is the undisputed leader in the clean energy industry and the upper management is extremely competent. They're well funded, have developed excellent partnerships, and have streamlined the mass residential solar installation process. I wouldn't be surprised if Solar City totally eliminated all of the competition within the next ten years- maybe sooner.

Cons

As a Field Energy Consultant most (if not all) of your leads will be self-generated. The majority of a new reps business comes from Home Depot. This entails standing in Home Depot for hours, cold calling on customers who walk by. Many customers have already been approached by reps and will try to walk by as fast as possible to avoid you. Occasionally, you will set an appointment. Some of these appointments will cancel, some will meet with you, and every now and then you'll close one. Afterwards, you'll be asked by your manager to get referrals from existing clients, knock on doors, and try to sell as many family members/friends as possible.

The turnover rate for this position is enormous. The quota is difficult to achieve. You'll have three months to ramp- and if not, off with your head. The majority of successful reps come from a previous role as inside sales rep with Solar City. They already have a referral base that's enough to supplement their business and in effect- hit quota.

The base is minimal (35K). You'll be forced to drop price because of competition or other various reasons. I did many deals for about 100 bucks in commission. Expect to make about 4 to 6k a month.

Elon Musk and his cousins who run Solar City probably don't need advice. As the Solar City stock price continues to soar, their vision of Champagne Wishes and Caviar Dreams becomes more clear. They can care less about former sales reps posting on GlassDoor.

Great company for corp positions & B2C sales

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant  in  Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Foster City, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company overall. Good benefits, 401k, stock, etc. Terrific growth outlook for the next five to ten years on the residential side. Incredible internal EE referral program.
    Well thought out approach to the market. Great tools for the field reps to use.

Cons

Training is "fire-hose" style. Then you are thrown into the mix. Lots of conflicting information about what is and is not current/acceptable policy. It's a fast moving company, unfortunately that tends to lead to more than a little "Ready, Fire, Aim" in execution.

High burn-out rate. High expectations of accountability (8PM teleconference six nights per week for some managers). Need to be available to manager~12/7. The immediacy of the job often has reps going months without an actual day off.

VERY numbers based sales organization. Heavy on SFDC reports and Excel spreadsheets. No traditional "Sales Management" used; no coaching. More telling than listening. More lecturing than teaching. More reactive than proactive. (This MAY not be the case company-wide, but was seen prevalently in the Bay Area)

Even with a field team (FEAs) generating "qualified" leads at The Home Depot, Best Buy, mall kiosks, fairs, etc, the distribution of those leads is entirely subjective. Leads are almost always sent to the FECs who have been there the longest, leaving newer rep to scramble. The only alternative is for FECs to spend 20 - 30 hours each week at retail location to insure that the leads coming in go to them.

Virtually no marketing presence. There are a lot of mis-conceptions about how SolarCity approaches renewable energy, but no concerted effort to get the information to the marketplace. For the FEAs and FECs this puts them in a constant uphill battle.

Although sales contests and incentives abound, they are often complex, convoluted and hard to understand the metrics to achieve success.

* Recommended to friends under the right circumstances
    ** Six month Business outlook: Good. Outlook on Improvements to above: Poor
    *** Avoid the residential side if your expertise is Business-To-Business

Invest more in training. Lots of reps in the field "selling" a poorly crafted vision of SC product and performance.

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

Worked for SolarCity? Contribute to the Community!