SolarCity

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

“A Boiler Room”

Former Employee - Inside Solar Advisor in Granite Bay, CA
Former Employee - Inside Solar Advisor in Granite Bay, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Perks, Free Coffee, drinks and Benefits.

Cons

Cons – If you want to be working 12 Hour days with no Family Life Balance this is the company for you
If you dont mind stretching the Truth about Solar Savings with prospective Customers this is the company for you
Some Reps try to Hide that its a 20 Year CONTRACT customers sign into.

If you dont mind to work with inexperienced, young Managers (they got to be promoted when Solarcity bought Paramount Solar, Not because of any experience). this is the company for you.

Advice to Senior Management – Eliminate District Managers, as they are just an unnecessary bureaucracy level...have fewer sales reps, so what they sell actually saves customers electric cost.

464 Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity (View Most Recent)

It was cool to work for the solar industry leader, but very glad I am no longer there.

I worked at SolarCity full-time

Pros

I was there before the company went public and after. I can only speak for my experience working in HQ in San Mateo. When I first started, there was a great energy and everyone was super passionate about the work they were doing. There were a lot of people employed who were very aligned with the goals and overall mission of the company and many employees had been there for several years. Many of those people have since cashed out on their stock and left.

Cons

Once the company went public the culture went down hill. The execs said it was because they need to drastically cut costs now that their finances were public. They opened up a new office in Vegas and gave several departments (sales, customer care, contract verification, utility group) an ultimatum to move to Vegas or find a new job at the company, but there were really no other departments left for people to transfer to besides finance, HR, engineering so most people were laid off or left. They seem to not value or appreciate that many of their employees were over qualified for their roles and thought they could replace them with someone in Vegas and pay them way less. They now just want people who can plug into a specific part of the assembly line. In fact, a member of the senior leadership team said in a meeting with my team that that was his goal, to make everyone's job extremely specific and volume driven, essentially implying we were to be like factory line workers. That was not inspiring at all! If you are in their corporate offices, you are definitely a little fish in a big pond. In most departments, the only opportunities for growth are to become a team lead, but there are 15 other people on your team that want that position too. It takes a long time to get any sort of raise and when you do, it is still not enough based on the 50+ hours of work they expect from you every week.

Treat your employees better.

Field Energy Specialist

Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor
    Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor

I have been working at SolarCity full-time

Pros

It's repetitively simple generating leads at THD.

Cons

Standing on your feet all day and having to work weekends.

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity