SolarCity

www.solarcity.com
There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

Solar soldiers out to save the world from fossil fuels and high prices.

Current Employee - Installer in Dallas, TX
Current Employee - Installer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are the best, everyone in SolarCity is a rock star. We work hard, blood & sweat with no time for tears. The pay can't be beat either, thanks to bonuses and investment benefits.

Cons

Always working in the extremes of all types of weather on the roof. Could be 110° F - 30° F, wet or dry and everything in between.

We should create a design team within Dallas, TX that understand the local codes and designs

577 Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity (View Most Recent)

Not to bad

Current Employee - Direct Energy Consultant in Parker, CO
    Current Employee - Direct Energy Consultant in Parker, CO

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than a year)

Pros

great company, good values, Fantastic benefits

Cons

little training, even less material to help sell

please please please train better, especially since you have taken away the 3 month guarantee

Lots of Hype, not a place to work

Former Employee - FEC- Field Energy Consultant in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - FEC- Field Energy Consultant in Berkeley, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great product and high moral at corporate level. Good benefits for those who end up staying for any length of time.

Cons

High turn over. I was there for little over a year. By the time I left I was the most senior person on the sales team. They seem to hire lots of reps and then get rid of the ones they don't like. Kind of the throw mud against the wall and see what sticks philosophy. Not a lot of support or loyalty to employees. They want "one visit closes" meaning you need to get a signed contract at the first meeting with a prospect. They are looking for a high pressure, manipulator, used car salesman type of sales rep. During my 13 months at SC our compensation package changed 3 times. Each time was a sort of repackaging of salary and commissions, and after taking out all the hype, each time resulted in less pay. When I started I was informed that half of my appointments would be set for me and I would get the other half from working in Home Depot. What I found was that appointments were given out under a system of favoritism that SC encourages. In the end there were no appointments being given to me and as the Home Depot market is being exhausted fewer appointments are available there. Their answer was door to door cold calling.

Treat your employees as people and not commodities or mere business tools. Ever since SC stock went public the emphasis has been on short term numbers instead of long term business success. It is a great product, you don't have to drop to the lowest common denominator to be a leader in your industry.

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity