SolarCity

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

Poor mid level Managment

Former Employee - Senior Field Energy Consultant in Martinez, CA
Former Employee - Senior Field Energy Consultant in Martinez, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Work with cool people who have the same vision
- Flexible schedule
- CEO’s are very involved and are always motivating
- Company Car (You can use it for personal)
- Gas Card

Cons

I’ve worked for the company for 10 months and had 3 different regional managers within those 10 months. There is very high turnover with this company as I was a vet working there less than a year. On one of our last calls before I left the company they expressed concern on why they had lost over 200 employees across the company in one month.
I’ve been in sales for over 10 years and have never worked for a company that has had poor mid-level management. I say poor meaning my Regional Manager didn’t even know who to have a coaching conversation. I understand that everyone needs to start somewhere, but SolarCity really needs to set up their managers for success and not promote people based of the buddy system. They also need to realize just because someone can sell doesn’t mean they can manage a team of 15 consultants.
There is no clear path for your development. I logged into “peopleworks” and tried to start a development path and sign up for some online classes. There wasn’t 1 glass available on the entire site that would aid me in my career path. And having a manager who doesn’t know how to have a coaching conversation wouldn’t be any help to my development anyway.
You’re told that you will receive half of your leads from the Field Energy Advisors. These are lead generators who work in The Home Depot and Best Buy. The fact is, if you want any of the leads from the lead generators you have to work with them inside the stores for the leads to come to you. So this is the process for……….

1) Generate your own leads (Lead generators are pointless if you have to go in and generate your leads with them.)
2) Run the in-home consultation
3) Design the system
4) Sign the customer up
5) Get all the required paperwork from the customer and email it to HQ
6) Once the final system is designed you’ll need to get another signature for the “Final Amendment”
7) They you get paid once the system is up on the customers roof.

So you’re basically doing everything from start to finish, being the project manager, and making sure the system gets installed so you get paid. It’s a lot of work required for a 35k base salary. Yes, you do make commission but you’ll be working 7 days a week if you want to make around 60k-70k. They’ll tell you it’s easy to make 100k, but the fact is only one person in my entire region was making that. If it’s so easy, why is only one person making that? Everyone else was making about 55k.

Keep in mind there are great people who work for this company and have earned where they are today. This reveiw is for Berkeley Ca and surrounding regions not for the entire compnay.

-Have a clear career path for those looking to develop.
-Sales will grow with the right people in place.
-Just because you can sell doesn’t mean you can manage.

SolarCity Response

Aug 25, 2014SolarCity Recruiting

Thank you for your detailed response. We are very proud of our mission and culture—we are here to help save the world! I will be sharing your feedback with our sales team as we are always looking ... More

454 Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity (View Most Recent)

Great company.

Current Employee - Operations in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Most positions have incentive plans to boost income drastically without hitting impossible goals. It's fast paced and everyone works hard, but it's exciting to be a part of a company that is growing so quickly. Seems like only the best of the best are hired, very smart and socially likable people with good work ethics and who care about what we're accomplishing. Tons of job stability with room for career growth, good benefits, very competitive compensation, and a general feeling that everyone is being taken care of by the company. I highly recommend working for SolarCity if you're on the market or interested in making a switch to green energy.

Cons

Again, fast paced environment, but not sure if I'd call that a con as much as it's just part of the job. Not your 9 to 5 type of gig and that's not everyone's cup of tea. Parking is tricky.

Hang on! This is a fast moving company .

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Dedicated to growth and keeping people happy. Support is pretty good. The freedom is great. I love having a copmany car and gas card.

Cons

A little too omuch knee jerk. Company is constantly changing. Some good some not so good. You really have to stay on top of the changes daily. Probibly necessary but can be a bit of a pain.

There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity