There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

Great experience working with positive, motivated, and intelligent people changing the energy industry!

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the most inspiring aspects of working for this company is that problems are not solved by asking what is possible but deciding what is needed to achieve our goals and making that possible. Our leaders look to where we and the renewable energy industry need to be and help drive change by breaking through previously limiting barriers to mass solar adoption.

Cons

With so much growth and change there can sometimes be gaps in the communication between departments that make implementing change difficult at times. But this is not so much a con as it is just a natural challenge to a rapidly growing company.

SolarCity Response

Aug 25, 2014SolarCity Recruiting

We are glad to have someone with your outlook on our team! To reach our common goal we all need to think outside the box. Communication is extremely important and something we are continually ... More

reviews filtered by

Not the best, not the worst...Not for top producers.

Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Consultant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun environment
    Good BBQ
    A ton of events

Cons

You can not move up based on your production and dedication, its all about favoritism and who you know.
    Directors higher friends for management positions even if they have not earned them.
    Top producers don't make that much and the pay gets cut every year.
    Long hours to take home 70-80k and i mean 11+ a day.
    Mid management are the laziest bunch of people in the company, with the highest salaries. (not all of them are bad, but most are, because they don't have to earn the position)
    You will be sold a dream in the interview but you will find the reality soon enough. If you are new to sales and you are ok with taking home a net of 2.5k -4k a month then this is the place for you.
    If you are a top sales person stay far away. If you are making more than 7k a month stay where you are. If you know a director in inside sales then it is cake. Managers make a good amount of money. They tell top sales reps that they have plenty of opportunities open to get you to take the pay cut. 90 days later you see people come in for 30 days and take the position you were promised. This is especially true in inside sales in Granite Bay. There are so many managers that don't know what the hell they are doing but are collecting big checks. They facebook and youtube instead of getting their workers paid. They don't have a clue what they are doing there. Better management is a must. Not to mention SolarCity will pay you for bringing people on board so the managers hire their friends and the qualified people don't make it. Huge turnover! SolarCity is about 60 days away from loosing a lot of it's top sales people. They are also moving into a call center model like Verizon. They say they want top talent but they don't want to pay for top talent. If i would have know this i would have not jumped on board. I don't hate the company or the employees. It is a fun place to work don't get me wrong. But as a top producer, I am looking elsewhere.

I am a licensed electrician.

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company promotes from within so there are opportunities to grow and advance to greater responsibility and compensation. The office culture is mixed bag and with the present rapid growth it is a constantly changing landscape. The company mission is about making a difference and I believe there is a sincere intention.Very strong emphasis on safety which is great.

Cons

The down side of rapid growth and promoting from within is that those promoted do not always have necessary experience and maturity to lead in management. Although the "team" model is promoted ,various different roles are compensated vary differently.There a re numerous unsung heroes. It is a youth work culture with not much appreciation for the experience of older employees, borders on juvenile. Company does not really see big picture , it already beholden to wall street and big banks.

Advice to Management

Bring in older , more experienced and mature people into management. Take a hard look at environmental consequences throughout structure and operation of business model.Bring back energy efficiency as part of model, ,rather than just slapping up solar panel where ever you can, as fast as you can, without much thought if it has been best use of resources. Its going to take more than just solar panels to save this Earth.