tough work great company

Current Employee - FES in Marlborough, MA
Current Employee - FES in Marlborough, MA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is amazing the product is amazing. The growth is insane! Can make a ton of money My boss is a cool guy

Cons

Culture is more on money than helping environment. The only real problem is the job is mindless regurgitation of a script and is very boring and hard. If you have the right personality and are very motivated by money, this could really be a great fit.

Advice to Management

Doing a great job just keep focusing on training young employees alot!

Aug 25, 2014 – SolarCity Recruiting

We are glad to hear you believe in our product and the employees around you. You are right, the growth is insane but we are happy about our ongoing expansion! We hear you on the training. We are ... More

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Its Without A Doubt, The Best Company Thats In The Best Industry For The Future.

Current Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Stockton, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a Guarantee! We make our money because the Sun. when was the last time the Sun didn't rise..? EXACTLY. Need more, okay heres a few Solar is the wave of the future. Just like cell phones and computers were back when they were first introduced. If you jumped on the cell phone CPU wave you're probably filthy rich, or at least financially secure. Solar is a wave just like that and Solar City is the Apple/Android or Microsoft of the Solar Industry. Doesn't matter if you are the number one company on the planet, there's going to be negitives & bad reviews. People it just comes with the territory; especially a multi billion dollar corporation thats dealing with millions of people. Mom & Pop places with incredibly low volume, that have an A+ record, they're going to have bad reviews even, it's inevitable. That's expected. Thats people. ● Pay is great. Especially great because, you don't need a college education in a lot of cases. ● You are rewarded on your performance NOT because it's that time or what the calendar says. ● No one micromanages you. ● On limited resources via - online training or videos, pdf's, ect. ● In Sales the sky's the limit when it comes to making money, you wanna make more.. put in more hours.. do marketing, networking, ect. ● People are Amazing. ● Flexible Schedules ● My Manager is the best manager I've ever worked for. ● Available company vehicals ● Expense almost everything on Companys Dime. ● We don't BS our customers so they sign up. ● Unlimited Help with anything... IF YOU ASK. ● Transfer to different wear houses if you have a geographical change. ● Benifits. Vacation pay. Sick pay. Bereavement. Maternity leave. Ect. So to all the SC employees whether former, and especially the current ones who have one or two things they don't like about the company and use it to negatively impact the entire company as a whole, I say to you "I feel Sorry for you that since every one of your expectations or demands went unmet you very criticized SC all togther." I mean it's not like SC is on the list of 'Best places to work' or anything. And to those who still work for Solar City that give it a thumbs down and have negative things to say about the company, rather than having constructive criticism I say "Why are you still employed there then? Why aren't you working at the cimpany that gives you exactly what you want?" I encourage you to stay, but please be more professional.

Cons

● Communication - Information can get blurry getting through the long chain of command. ● Sometimes hires people fresh of the street, even though people have been promoted and a are just waiting for a slot. ( If in companies best interest I understand why this would happen) ● Management's plate is maybe a little to full which causes availability to be limited. (Causes to rely on less knowledgeable sources) ● Company growth too rapid. (Causes a domino effect of issues that trickle down & affects almost all employees which affects the customers which impacts reputation and reviews. ● Recent Salary Changes and Benifit packages cut down. ● If Wallstreet falls SC falls. If Investors back out without another to replace it SC falls. ● Investors hold the cards. Over all nothing that any other corporation isn't or hasn't gone through, I mean my dad still works for Federal Express. He is about to retire in a few years. His benefits, 401k, excetera used to be way better, those things have been cut down not increased like you'd think. 25 years for a reputable company such as FedEx and my new hire Benifit package is more handsome than his is today. SolarCity has flaws like any other company but even with them, I'd never leave. It is still one of the top companies, still future focused, still an industry in wave of our future. Solar is still in its infancy and Solar City continues to prove why they're one of if not the best around and continues to show abundant potential for in ovation and what's to come ahead. Theyre hungry, they're proficient, intelligent, they stand out among the competition, they set goals, they smash those goals, always encouraging, constantly moving forward, consistantly br ra king company records, and rapidly growing and with showing no signs of slowing down. It's no a race it's a marathon and they've set the pace, and since they're not trying to one up the competition and they're focused on personal company goals and visions, non of the others can keep up with pace. I feel honored that with no college education or sales experience and just based off of references I was given a shot and given this opportunity to be a part of something great. Something other than just money. I love what I do and I love that I do it. It's called work, but it sure doesn't feel like it sometimes.

Advice to Management

Don't overshoot numbers to the investors. Set barely obtainable goals and push like hell to exceed them. Too rapid of company expansion has almost never paid off in the end unless you got out before the collapse. Find a different ways to make the investors comfortable instead of spreading and thining things out in the company. Better/ more detailed training. Without raising or cutting costs. Longer if needed. Dont compromise quality or the intensity. Better training = better employees = better results= faster production, quicker numbers achieved w/o compromise. Negitive isn't only thing that rolls down hill. So does positive, quality, confidence, assurance, employees get trained that way then they're that way in the field which inevitably gets passed on to the customers cause they see/feel it. You all are amazing at what you do. Thank you for all the efforts.

Aug 25, 2014 – SolarCity Recruiting

Wow, thank you for taking the time to thoroughly go over what you like about SolarCity and what we can improve on. We truly appreciate your hard work and dedication to SolarCity and our vision. You ... More

Great experience working with positive, motivated, and intelligent people changing the energy industry!

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

One of the most inspiring aspects of working for this company is that problems are not solved by asking what is possible but deciding what is needed to achieve our goals and making that possible. Our leaders look to where we and the renewable energy industry need to be and help drive change by breaking through previously limiting barriers to mass solar adoption.

Cons

With so much growth and change there can sometimes be gaps in the communication between departments that make implementing change difficult at times. But this is not so much a con as it is just a natural challenge to a rapidly growing company.

Aug 25, 2014 – SolarCity Recruiting

We are glad to have someone with your outlook on our team! To reach our common goal we all need to think outside the box. Communication is extremely important and something we are continually ... More