There are newer employer reviews for SolarCity

Believing in a better way!

Current Contractor - Recruiter in Fort Worth, TX
Current Contractor - Recruiter in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at SolarCity as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

As a recruiter at SolarCity I am provided the opportunity to identify talent for a company that is on the leading edge of residential solar power generation. SolarCity has a vision and the drive to be successful with an already proven track record of employee growth, development and is agile enough to make changes on the fly to bridge employment needs.

Cons

Much like any company in it's infancy, change is common place. But the desire to change for the right reasons is amicable and well thought out albeit difficult at times. Although change has a tendency to effect the growth rate negatively, the goal is to increase our ability to provide high level talent to an already tremendously successful sales/operations organization with much success. Change is akin to growing pains that will subside as the company becomes an adult.

SolarCity Response

Aug 25, 2014 – SolarCity Recruiting

Thank you not only for your feedback, but for your commitment to SolarCity. You are right, we are a fast-paced company that is always changing. We definitely need top-level talent like you to ... More

Other Employee Reviews for SolarCity

I'm inspired and excited to work for such an amazing company!

Current Employee - Senior Field Energy Consultant in Santa Cruz, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Field Energy Consultant in Santa Cruz, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I get to get paid for supplying a service that doesn't cost anything and every day I'm saving people on their energy bills. Not only that, the service that I'm providing is helping save the environment and our planet! I also get to meet great people every day and help them join our movement toward cleaner cheaper energy. I'm can't say how proud I am to work for such an innovative and supportive company that has their head in the right game!

Cons

My position is a Sr. Field Energy Consultant. My job is driving around to different homes to help promote our product. It is a very demanding job. There is hardly a day that I do not function or perform my duties. Although, every day that I am working, I am doing something that I truely believe in and having fun while I do it. As much as I do work, I love my job so I don't feel like I am working.

Advice to Management

I don't think everyone has the same fortune I have had when it comes to management. I am on my second manager since we split our team and have doubled our size. My first manager, now promoted and continuing his long streak of success at SolarCity, was amazing. He helped inspire me and mold my abilities into the successful solar consultant that I am. My new manager is also wonderful and always supportive when needed.

SolarCity Response

Sep 8, 2014 – SolarCity Recruiting

We are happy to hear you share our sense of pride in SolarCity. SolarCity is a movement, composed of the “great people” you mentioned. It’s not easy saving the world and we truly appreciate the ... More

In for a rude awakening!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers, but I think it's because we've learned to have each other's backs because of poor management.

Cons

You're told something completely different during your interview than what your employment experience actually ends up being. Management is not professional, they are encouraged to talk down to employees! There are some that are even related, so you can't talk to anyone about anything ifbhre are issues. The team leads just sit around, they don't actually work while on a job site, so you're short a hand and then they tell management that they did all of the work and the team is useless, so management takes their word for it which keeps you fearing that you'll lose your job all the time. They don't formally train you, even though they say that they will and then they tell you that you'll be trained on the job, but the leads don't do that and get mad that you weren't already trained, so they expect you to know everything your first day out. Be prepared to be yelled at and belittled all day long as management encourages it. You will be forced to work Sundays, so if you're realigous, they'll threaten to fire you! I was lucky to have this Sunday off because of a prior commitment, but they put me through the ringer for it! You will be working 12-14 hour days starting at 6:00 AM and your team lead does not allow you to take a lunch (even though that's illegal in NV) you'll just have occasional five minute breaks, so learn to eat fast and expect to get yelled at if you have to drive to a gas station to use the facilites! During your interview and even when you're hired, they tell you that you'll drive to the office every morning and then jump in a work truck for the day. That's a huge lie! They make you drive to the office to punch in and load one work truck for the team lead to drive and then the rest of the team has to take their personal cars to the jobs for the day and then possibly drive back to the office that night to unload the truck. For a company that's so into saving the planet, they certainly encourage five or six extra cars to be out on the road instead of just two trucks! Bottom line, be prepared to be abused, not see your family ever, have your job threatened all the time, have to deal with childish games from management and spend a lot of money for your own gas! No one is happy here.

Advice to Management

Treating employees this way will eventually catch up with the company, because no one is going to want to work for you and you'll have slim pickings as far as qualified employees and with social media no a days, customers will start to catch on to this abuse as well, not to mention they already hear the team leads screaming at the team. Keep the professionalism and courtesy that you show during interviews and treat the "low man on the totem pole" with respect and you will have loyal, hard working employees for life! Also, stop burning everyone out, treating us like we can quickly be replaced. If you analyze how much money you keep putting in to new employees, with benefits, etc., you'll see that you can save money and your reputation to just treat the existing employees better. Also, you misrepresented our jobs by telling us that we would be in work trucks, when we are instead using our personal cars which is not good to the environment (1 truck and 5 cars over 2 trucks) and that would be extra advertising for the company, not to mention that it looks horrible having personal cars in front of h customer's house. This company is a penny wise and a pound foolish.