SolarWorld
www.solarworld.de Bonn, Germany 1000 to 5000 Employees

It's a paycheck, but that's about it

Camarillo, CA

Pros- Good benefit package
- Decent wages
- Low stress job
- Many good co-workers who care about the work
- Easy commute, good location right off freeway

Cons- Inadequate, inexperienced, untrained front line management who treat employees like children
- Ineffective performance reviews and review process
- Upward mobility options only for chosen few
- High turnover
- Poor communication within and across teams
- Iffy industry right now as China floods the US solar market
- HR "department" runs hot and cold, but mostly cold (unless you are on the hook for a job, then very hot until you are hired)
- From the company website: "We place a high value on continuing education and a major emphasis on helping our employees grow." This could not be further from the truth. Continuing education has so many loopholes to jump through (sometimes you want to take courses to better yourself and position yourself for the next promotion, not get better at something you're completely proficient in), employee development is only offered to (not necessarily encouraged for) salaried employees, and helping employees grow? Never. Not even upon request to find new and challenging work inter- and intra-departmentally. I've never felt so stifled.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease provide basic, on-going management training to front line managers. Good workers don't equal good managers and the current stock is proof that little, if any, training has been given. Bad managers do equal low morale and a disengaged team and employees that constantly look for better employment. As the economy recovers, it won't be so hard to find.

Its tough to learn valuable work skills when given few responsibilities

Production Tech I (Former Employee)
    Hillsboro, OR

I worked at SolarWorld

Pros: Their Health and Vacation plans were the best I have seen from the places I have worked. Employees on the floor were… Cons: For the amount of time a 12 hour shift takes out of you three or four consecutive days in a week. The compensation doesn't match… Advice to Senior Management: Stop pointing fingers or assigning blame to someone because of a mistake. Instead find a solution to the problem, move on, and solve the next… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

...Disappointed and concerned.

Not Important Enough (Current Employee)
    Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at SolarWorld

Pros: --Great vacation/time off package. Lots of vacation days and the work schedule is not bad at all. --It could feel good to try and make… Cons: --Management has a pompous and elitist attitude --Zero people skills where they matter most - Management --Some good efforts to do well, but are often shot down… Advice to Senior Management: --Clean house! Start over with management. If this is not an option (most likely not), then restructure how things work. Get the team to work… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on SolarWorld.

Worked for SolarWorld? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SolarWorld reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SolarWorld CEO Frank H. Asbeck. All reviews posted anonymously by SolarWorld employees.