SolarWorld

www.solarworld.de
  www.solarworld.de
There are newer employer reviews for SolarWorld

It's a paycheck, but that's about it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Camarillo, CA

I have been working at SolarWorld

Pros

- Good benefit package
- Decent wages
- Low stress job
- Many good co-workers who care about the work
- Easy commute, good location right off freeway

Cons

- Inadequate, inexperienced, untrained front line management who treat employees like children
- Ineffective performance reviews and review process
- Upward mobility options only for chosen few
- High turnover
- Poor communication within and across teams
- Iffy industry right now as China floods the US solar market
- HR "department" runs hot and cold, but mostly cold (unless you are on the hook for a job, then very hot until you are hired)
- From the company website: "We place a high value on continuing education and a major emphasis on helping our employees grow." This could not be further from the truth. Continuing education has so many loopholes to jump through (sometimes you want to take courses to better yourself and position yourself for the next promotion, not get better at something you're completely proficient in), employee development is only offered to (not necessarily encouraged for) salaried employees, and helping employees grow? Never. Not even upon request to find new and challenging work inter- and intra-departmentally. I've never felt so stifled.

Please provide basic, on-going management training to front line managers. Good workers don't equal good managers and the current stock is proof that little, if any, training has been given. Bad managers do equal low morale and a disengaged team and employees that constantly look for better employment. As the economy recovers, it won't be so hard to find.

58 Other Employee Reviews for SolarWorld (View Most Recent)

Its tough to learn valuable work skills when given few responsibilities

Former Employee - Production Tech I in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Production Tech I in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at SolarWorld

Pros

Their Health and Vacation plans were the best I have seen from the places I have worked.

Employees on the floor were friendly and understanding, but there is a major separation in attitudes between production workers and the rest of the staff.

Full-time Work!

Cons

For the amount of time a 12 hour shift takes out of you three or four consecutive days in a week. The compensation doesn't match it.

The morale suffered because of lack of enthusiasm from management and they are immune to listening and understanding the causes behind statistical data aka "Why aren't we going 100%"?! well we reported this problem last week so we aren't able to run this.

Zero ideas are implemented from the line.

Job function are not changed from the moment you start there. example: if you work in area one you stay there causing repetitive motion and ergonomic factors flair up.

Stop pointing fingers or assigning blame to someone because of a mistake. Instead find a solution to the problem, move on, and solve the next problem. Be sincere about the work you do for SolarWorld. Come to work with a good attitude, work individually and collectively, then go enjoy your families.

...Disappointed and concerned.

Current Employee - Not Important Enough in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Not Important Enough in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at SolarWorld

Pros

--Great vacation/time off package. Lots of vacation days and the work schedule is not bad at all.
    --It could feel good to try and make a difference in the world through alternative energy.
    --Many of the operators and maintenance personnel are really intelligent and well educated, far more than what they are getting paid for.

Cons

--Management has a pompous and elitist attitude
    --Zero people skills where they matter most - Management
    --Some good efforts to do well, but are often shot down with little explanation
    --Extremely discouraging and demotivating culture
    --Factory floor workers = ignorant drones in management's eyes (this mentality often driven by one or two individuals)
    --Very obscure and difficult promotion practices, unfair is a good term to describe.
    --Poor planning and terrible use of downtime
    --Very little effort to formally train workforce, but expects the world out of them
    --Machines do not run as advertised, but the blame is often put on operators and maintenance, especially for issues out of their control.
    --Zero people skills (worth adding twice)
    --Management and engineering is very driven by their charts and figures, but seldom understand the context of the issues.
    --Discounting of others that offer help or interest in tasks outside of their job description

--Clean house! Start over with management. If this is not an option (most likely not), then restructure how things work. Get the team to work together. Knock down the walls and barriers that are preventing good teamwork. Include people, especially those that are interested in pursuing a career.
    --Stop alienating maintenance as they are all walking out the door.
    --Put some effort into retaining talent. None has been seen from our standpoint.
    --Promote those that work hard and think differently/outside the box instead of giving them the shaft.
    --Humbleness helps. Remember, you are not better and you do not have all the answers, so quit pretending. You are just another person that happens to be in a better paying position at the moment...

There are newer employer reviews for SolarWorld