Poor Management

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Solers

Pros

Founded by Bright Virginia Tech Grads Engineers with a Idea for a new product. They showed courage leaving their company to strike out on their own. They recruit some sharp people from VT which keeps the senior staff on their toes.

Cons

My Managers just didn't know how to give timely direct feedback. Instead, I always received feedback from my managers manager who I had never directly worked with. The feedback was vague unmeasurable comments with no clean quantifiable goals for improvement. A very strange way to manager and mentor employees! Their work/life balance was also just out of balance. On one occasion I volunteered to help out another group make a deadline by working Saturdays and Sundays. During that time I had to cancel a very important appointment that was on a Sunday because of work. Finally, I had no choice and couldn't put off the appointment any longer, and made it during the weekday. That was viewed as a non-team player think to do.

Advice to Management

Please keep in mind that most employees want to be given the chance to be part of the solution if given the chance. We appreciate honesty as to management intentions. Instead I saw employees treated as part of the problem and disposable.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Decent company - some managers better than others

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Solers

Pros

Salary Quarterly 'mini review' and Bonus They pay for parking Decent office coffee and tea Good location near metro Some assignments have good technology

Cons

small company - if you have any problems at all, it's difficult to recover as there is little room to go. they don't share enough details of the government contract so that you can prepare if the contract runs out. That might be by design - so that you don't leave in anticipation! If you are stuck in a fiefdom under a Manager/Director, there is little chance or option for remedying this. Small company but not a '8a, Small Disadvantaged Business' - so it's not as easy to get government contracts.

Advice to Management

Keep up the quarterly reviews and bonus. Watch out for allowing excessive power to be concentrated to a few. Build more partnerships with larger contractors or get 8a certified.

SW Engineer

Former Employee - Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Software Engineer

I worked at Solers

Pros

Flexible work hours were ok

Cons

Management was very poor and disorganized

Advice to Management

Nothing to advise evaluate management staff