There are newer employer reviews for Solid Cactus

Needs a union!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shavertown, PA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shavertown, PA

I have been working at Solid Cactus

Pros

Standard PTO
Time off if your pet dies

Cons

No raises, ever
No room for advancement
Benefits are terrible
Communication is unheard of

Management is too interested in giving themselves raises. What is wrong has been brought to them many times and has fallen on deaf ears. We are seeing our fellow employees walking right out the door and not looking back. How many more good people are going to follow?

22 Other Employee Reviews for Solid Cactus (View Most Recent)

Solid Cactus is one of the best places to work in Pennsylvania.

Former Employee - Manager of Technical Support in Shavertown, PA
    Former Employee - Manager of Technical Support in Shavertown, PA

I worked at Solid Cactus

Pros

Relax friendly atmosphere. Fun, challenging and satisfying work. Diversified employee population. Very innovative in the field, ahead of its competitors.

Cons

Long hours, small company, too local when it comes to working locations. Less than exemplary benefits for employees with families.

Keep it up, going in the right direction. Solid Cactus has the potential to mature into a fortune 500 company.

Solid Cactus - about as good as it gets in Northeastern PA

Former Employee - Former Employee in Shavertown, PA
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Shavertown, PA

I worked at Solid Cactus

Pros

This is a great place to work for someone living in Northeastern Pennsylvania - where career opportunities are few and far between. They've created a great work environment, have a fantastic, cool, upbeat looking building, and a simply wonderful group of friends. Diverse staff of talented people including the rookies right out of school right up to the seasoned veterans. Good place to learn the e-commerce business. They do a great job of finding people who work well together and get along. They've got a few perks that set them apart from other employers in the region, such as the cafe, and free parking. Joe and Scott are very nice people, personally I like the both of them, and respect them very much. I do believe they want everyone to be happy and succeed. You will be recognized for your work, and if you are an honest worker with even a slightly positive attitude you'll do ok here.

Cons

It's very hard to come up with one "downside" blanket comment that describes the whole company. This is because there are so many different departments and job titles at Solid Cactus. While one department may be running like a well-oiled machine and everyone is happy, another department may be quite different. That comes with a fast-paced and ever-changing work environment like Solid Cactus. The economy is really struggling right now, and companies are scratching and clawing to stay alive at all cost. Solid Cactus is not immune to these dire economic conditions, so some decisions that need to be made (or have been) will not be positive. Some mistakes have been made in the way the company has made these decisions.

Overall, some things to point out:

While the building itself is awesome, the desks/workspaces are like a veal farm. Very tight, small and cramped. With the investments in all other areas of the facility this concern was overlooked.

The perception that the more hours you sit at your desk the better employee you are and the more work you are doing. This is outdated corporate philosphy of the 1980's that does not work in today's world, especially for a modern forward-thinking company looking to be a unique leader in the future.

If you stay in the Wilkes-Barre area this is about as good as it gets. It's a great salary for most folks living there, especially the 21 year old living with mom and dad. But it's not the place to expect to support a family, own a home and really thrive and build on your personal assets. You'll probably need a second job or move out of the area if you want to provide truly for your family. Increase in salary would help, if that's even possible right now.

Employees are in fear of speaking up. Several co-workers told me some great ideas, but said they'd be fired if they ever mentioned anything to management because it would be viewed as negativity.

Don't take a position as an E-commerce consultant or account mananger. This is the worst, and most demanding and un-rewarding position at the company. Unless you like being kicked in the head repeatedly seven days a week.

The threats of "write-ups." What is this, grade school? Another outdated practice not in line with a company that is looking to the future. If someone screws up, or violates policy simply fire them. Write-ups don't do anything but create negative attitudes with staff.

With young employees sometimes come childish behaviors and attitudes. The main reason for so many of the policies and watchdog big-brother tactics enforced at SC are because some of the younger employees can't be trusted to behave. That ruins it for everyone. Some of these rookies don't know how good they have it... let them go work for a total psycho like I have and Solid Cactus will look like paradise.

There's not a good work/personal life balance. You feel guilty if you have to leave at 5 or need a day off for personal or family reasons.

Don't sugarcoat. If something sucks, say it sucks. Most people just want to get it straight, even if it comes with some unpleasent words. Reality is not a negative attitude.

I realize these are some things that Management may not want to hear, but this is only my personal view, and I don't mean to provide anything but some constructive input. I do think it's a great place to work still and am proud I was part of it. I wish SC nothing but the best. Treat the employees with honesty, pay your talent well, and always remember that you have a responsibility to all these people to do your best for them, and they will do thier best for you.

There are newer employer reviews for Solid Cactus