Seriously Scary Management

Former Employee - Director
Former Employee - Director

I worked at Solutia

Pros

The people are dedicated and competent

Cons

The management is out of control. One division leadership team would spend time in kareoke bars in China (read up on this in the news to get my point) or other places (direct from2 members of that staff who felt very uncomfortable). Another Senior manager no-bid a consulting contract and then tried to cover up. Senior management had opportunity to sell Nylon division at attractive price but ended up selling at a loss. These guys are only out for themselves

Advice to Management

Hard to give advice to people who lack ethics

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great company, good people, good benefits, bought by Eastman Chemical

Current Employee - Manager Finance in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Manager Finance in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Solutia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company is dress down, informal and overall very relaxed atmosphere. People are very easy to get along with and generally opprotunities are given if people are motivated or seek them.

Cons

Since company was purchased, employees maybe moving to Kingsport or required to move for current job. Eastman is much larger than Solutia, could be a good thing if willing to relocate.

Advice to Management

Keep skill and jobs here, please do not close St. Louis office.

2. friendly people working hard to bring company back from former bankruptcy

I worked at Solutia

Pros

Solutia was full of friendly, helpful people. Everyone was welcome, participation and alternate viewpoints were considered, and there are lots of opportunities to distinguish yourself and projects to tackle. Pace of work was very comfortable with a healthy personal life balance, and a strong camaraderie around the office, which extended to off-campus socializing.

Cons

There are a lot of vestiges of the bankruptcy, like out-of-date documentation and aging equipment and physical plant. It was telling that few of the employees were interested in buying company stock.

Advice to Management

I actually think the management is on a good track, I don't know what else I would recommend doing. They've tried to identify strong young candidates and develop from within, and I think that's a healthy approach.