There are newer employer reviews for Sonic

A good high school job

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Sonic full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible hours, easy work, potential to make a lot in tips, laid back management

Cons

Very hard to move up in the ranks; getting to asst. manager is easy, but moving higher takes a lot of luck and patience. Pay is also pretty low, but for how simple the work load is, its not that unexpected.

My advice would be for franchisee owners to pay more attention to their general managers. It seems that some stores could be potentially losing a lot of money based off of whether or not the proper general manager was selected.

359 Other Employee Reviews for Sonic (View Most Recent)

A fun great place to work for a first job

Former Employee - Carhop, Fountain, Kitchen and Assistant Manager in Houma, LA
    Former Employee - Carhop, Fountain, Kitchen and Assistant Manager in Houma, LA

I worked at Sonic full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Very flexible with school. Will let you make as many hours as you want to. Managers were professional in every way.

Cons

Hard to make a decent living making only minimun wage. Have to work lots of over time to make a reasonable living.

Poorly Managed Experience But Wasn't Totally Unenjoyable

Former Employee - Cashier in Bossier City, LA
    Former Employee - Cashier in Bossier City, LA

I worked at Sonic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with generally are fun to interact with, and the ability to interact with customers in a unique way gives you some positive reason to want to go to work every day. They have good food and gave an employee discount.

Cons

The major problems I encountered were poor management-related. Very bad experience with training, as I got almost none. I wanted to be a cook, yet was stuck as a cashier, which I never signed up for. Just bad atmosphere and very tense place to work. Our assistant manager was fired for stealing over a thousand dollars from the store and gambling it away. That kind of person in a management position shows that mistakes were made from the top all the way down to individual stores.

Listen to your employees about their concerns, and please do a better job with your training programs. Make the stores a more encouraging place to work.

There are newer employer reviews for Sonic