There are newer employer reviews for Sonoco Products

Sonoco

I have been working at Sonoco Products full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The job itself is often challenging, interesting, and it does pay the bills. The commute is short. In my position I do enjoy a certain degree of autonomy.

Cons

Every year since being acquired by Sonoco compensation has decreased. Raises were skipped, 401k matching suspended and eventually partially restored in 2009 due to "difficult" times while the CEO's compensation increased by 45% to nearly 9 million dollars. Opportunities for advancement do not seem to exist. The safety program is out of control to the point of being smothering.

The current policies are a recipe for mediocrity. Provide a clear vision, opportunities, and incentives for employees. It seems that management is rewarded when we do well and receive incentives.. It would be good to give employees incentive as well. Provide clear avenues for advamcement.

66 Other Employee Reviews for Sonoco Products (View Most Recent)

Sonoco Products was an amazing company with kind employees and tasks that challenge you to the next level.

I worked at Sonoco Products

Pros

-Supportive co-workers
    -Great company ethics
    -Opportinities for travel
    -A chance to really learn about the products Sonoco manufactures
    -Great community to work within

Cons

-Corporate HQ location (Hartsville, SC)
    -Technology that is not up-to-date (e.g. Word 2007; aging computers)
    -Offices constantly being moved around

The best part of Sonoco was how open the management staff was with fellow Sonoco employees. Each manager I encountered was very kind and helpful, while more than willing to explain terms or fundamentals that you do not quite understand. I feel this is a huge asset to the company and managers should continue this process; it makes employees feel like they are not alone.

Promising

I have been working at Sonoco Products

Pros

People, benefits and overall work environment is promising. overall job is enjoyable and easily manageable to fit into life. Pay is good.

Cons

Personal growth is challenging due to blue collar entrenchment of many leaders -- this needs to be corrected. Holiday pay for those working alternate schedules is non-existent -- getting a holiday off means you make it up another day.

look at long-term growth of all staff, better balance blue collar/white collar environments. No tolerance for harassment of any sort.

There are newer employer reviews for Sonoco Products

Worked for Sonoco Products? Contribute to the Community!