Good Company, Poor Management in select departments

Former Employee - Courier in Tempe, AZ
Former Employee - Courier in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work that's full of opportunity and growth. Banner health benefits

Cons

Poor management in various departments. Politics play a key role, managers like to play favorites in the workplace sometimes preventing employees from transferring to other opportunities within the company. Lack of communication and professionalism isn't always demonstrated in the workplace.

Advice to Management

Continue to offer the management survey in order to rate managers by employees as offered in the past. Take feedback from employees that work on the front line, for example: logistics, phlebotomy, processing, IOPS, PSC's.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Best Place to Work

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories

Pros

Benefits - Our benefits are better than most companies
    Values - The majority of the people in this company live the values
    Perks - Free coffee, tea and hot chocolate and annual performance bonus
    Team Environment - most of us know that we are all in this together. That makes a difference.
    Community Service - Sonora Quest allows their employees to participate in community service
    Community Support - SQL support the community through various programs
    Career Advancement - If you want to advance the opportunity is there if you can do the work

Cons

Pay - Pay is good, but does not match current market according to the BLS
    HR - HR is not independent of the parent and cannot act on their own - causes employee conflict
    ATM System - Current attendance system is a negative for employees who do their part

Advice to Management

Go back to leaving attendance up to the Sup/Mgr to track, get rid of the ATM system. This was designed for juveniles, not hard working adults.
    Executive Leadership - Support the front line workers visibly and visit with employees on the floor more often.
    I love my job and this company, I have passed up other offers to stay here because of our Executive Management team and the dynamic of this company. It is an excellent place to work, thank you.

Sonora Quest over-promises and under-delivers.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Sonora Quest Laboratories full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Sonora Quest is a large company that has had minimal layoffs during the recession. There is a strong amount of job security for most positions.

Cons

This company represents an "old-boys" club. There are only two women in the upper-most level of management (out of 14 positions). All but two departments within the company are lead by men. Women are largely under-represented in all management levels. This is reprehensible given that over 60% of employees are women. It is almost impossible to move up in this company as a female employee.

Also, in the past few years employee compensation packages have been severely reduced, while the management teams still receive their annual bonuses. The company places a large focus on the results of the annual "employee satisfaction survey" and being one of the "best places to work" in Arizona, but does little other than issue company memos to employees when results are less than favorable.