Sonus Networks
www.sonus.net Westford, MA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Not the place it once was

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Westford, MA

ProsSonus' story is a tail of two companies. I worked there for a number of years, trough good times and bad times, and at first it was a wonderful place to work. The management had a clear vision and everyone pulled together in the same direction. Even through industry down-turns and accounting debacles, the "can do" attitude of the employees never changed...until (see Cons)...

ConsEventually, Sonus did change. First the BOD brought in several people in Sr. management (specifically a COO and a VP of Eng.) that were only interested in lining their own pockets and building kingdoms. Then they compounded the issues by bring in a slash and burn CEO who ousted most of the experienced, senior people (granted higher pay) and replaced them with engineers in Bangalore. While I understand the effort to lower costs and I'm sure they hired some good people in India, the entire escapade was handled badly, resulting in a huge loss of expertise and the poorest moral in the industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have high hopes for Mr. Dolan. I still have friends that work at Sonus and the indications are that he has the right attitude, but actions will speak louder than words. One encouraging sign was the speed with which he got rid of the COO, who was a yes-man crony of the previous CEO and universally disliked by the employees.

My advice...Be careful where you invest in R&D (lots of wasted money there over the years) and get rid of the other deadwood in Sr. Management (lots of waste there as well). Don't be scared to talk to the employees...not the management...the employees. I'm not sure how many are there that will still speak there mind, but they have a bird's eye view of what's wrong. It will be up to you to fix it.

It was the best place on earth to work for

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Westford, MA

I worked at Sonus Networks

Pros: When I joined Sonus in 2005, I was the best decision I made. The company was having issues with SEC filings. However the engineers were… Cons: Come the recession of 2009, and the things went downhill very fast. The leadership changed, and outsourcing began in full swing. While I am not… Advice to Senior Management: The devil is in the details. If you get rid of the talented engineers who know the system, you cannot build the great product. Having… More

Indian Centric

Engineer (Former Employee)
    Freehold, NJ

I worked at Sonus Networks

Pros: Money is better than most shops. Easy commute. Cons: It's an Indian company. At the Freehold location, we had a husband and wife tag team managers, which in any industry is a major no-no,… Advice to Senior Management: It's too late. Sell the company. You should have focused… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Sonus Networks.

Worked for Sonus Networks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Sonus Networks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Sonus Networks CEO Raymond P. (Ray) Dolan. All reviews posted anonymously by Sonus Networks employees.