Not the place it once was

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Westford, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westford, MA

I worked at Sonus Networks

Pros

Sonus' story is a tail of two companies. I worked there for a number of years, trough good times and bad times, and at first it was a wonderful place to work. The management had a clear vision and everyone pulled together in the same direction. Even through industry down-turns and accounting debacles, the "can do" attitude of the employees never changed...until (see Cons)...

Cons

Eventually, Sonus did change. First the BOD brought in several people in Sr. management (specifically a COO and a VP of Eng.) that were only interested in lining their own pockets and building kingdoms. Then they compounded the issues by bring in a slash and burn CEO who ousted most of the experienced, senior people (granted higher pay) and replaced them with engineers in Bangalore. While I understand the effort to lower costs and I'm sure they hired some good people in India, the entire escapade was handled badly, resulting in a huge loss of expertise and the poorest moral in the industry.

I have high hopes for Mr. Dolan. I still have friends that work at Sonus and the indications are that he has the right attitude, but actions will speak louder than words. One encouraging sign was the speed with which he got rid of the COO, who was a yes-man crony of the previous CEO and universally disliked by the employees.

My advice...Be careful where you invest in R&D (lots of wasted money there over the years) and get rid of the other deadwood in Sr. Management (lots of waste there as well). Don't be scared to talk to the employees...not the management...the employees. I'm not sure how many are there that will still speak there mind, but they have a bird's eye view of what's wrong. It will be up to you to fix it.

Other Reviews for Sonus Networks

It was the best place on earth to work for

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Westford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Westford, MA

I worked at Sonus Networks

Pros

When I joined Sonus in 2005, I was the best decision I made. The company was having issues with SEC filings. However the engineers were top-notch. The technology was simulating. And managers were considerate. I learnt a lot from co-workers, and was able to have great work-life balance. I was given raises according to my performance, and never thought of leaving the place.

Cons

Come the recession of 2009, and the things went downhill very fast. The leadership changed, and outsourcing began in full swing. While I am not against the idea of finding the best talent in the world for the corporation, I was perplexed by the way the management got rid of old-timers. The SEC filing woes continued, and so did the rumors of takeover. I had bid the place farewell, although I am still in touch with the great people I met there.

The devil is in the details. If you get rid of the talented engineers who know the system, you cannot build the great product. Having warm bodies is not a way the industry leaders think about. It's too late to evaluate your strategy now. I hope next time you think more than your stock options.

Indian Centric

Former Employee - Engineer  in  Freehold, NJ
    Former Employee - Engineer in Freehold, NJ

I worked at Sonus Networks

Pros

Money is better than most shops. Easy commute.

Cons

It's an Indian company. At the Freehold location, we had a husband and wife tag team managers, which in any industry is a major no-no, and yes, they too, were Indian. The last layoff, everyone was either Indian or Chinese while the Indians got a free pass. If you want, you can learn, but not cutting edge technology. When it comes time to look for a job, you'll quickly find that the skills you picked up aren't marketable.

It's too late. Sell the company. You should have focused on quality, but you gutted engineering.

There are newer employer reviews for Sonus Networks.

Worked for Sonus Networks? Contribute to the Community!