Sony Electronics

Beware the Japanese culture

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sony Electronics

Pros

Sony offers a wide variety of solutions in the consumer electronics realm. They have an on-site gym and a great location to work in.

Cons

The internal politics of the company are just astounding. Simple tasks become insurmountable, nearly herculean efforts. Everything is controlled out of Japan, and they simply ignore the cultural differences and assume you have some level of knowledge from their culture which makes their statements and policies understandable. I guess politeness is also a cultural aspect as I find some of the Japanese management people to be extremely inconsiderate and rude.

Sony needs to change in order to survive. That is also the mandate from high up - however it stops solid in middle-management level. Great initiatives and ideas are stopped cold by old-time policies (this is how we do it and we won't change it now) and mixed messaging is being distributed to the workers (we're told to think different - to change - to break down the barriers of old, but still held to the same silos that brought this great company into the administrative and political mess it is today).

Take a close look at the middle management and track who actually enforces policies and embraces change - I think you will find some surprising results...

444 Other Employee Reviews for Sony Electronics (View Most Recent)

Good learning experience, but had to leave to realize how limited opportunities were

Former Employee - Senior IT Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sony Electronics

Pros

+ The brand is still relevant in certain categories
    + Manageable work-life balance
    + Employees are passionate about the company

Cons

+ Company is accelerating towards irrelevancy
    + Not enough "topgrading" of talent. A lot of tenured and mediocre "B" players stuck in middle management, limiting advancement opportunities
    + Decisions are slow and management is indecisive.
    + So frustrating to see nimbler competitors run circles around us

Stop focusing on cost and focus on the delivering a unique experience to the customer. Get out of the businesses where we can't do this. Clean house on your staffing -- remove the tenured top and middle management. Find way to attract and retain talent. Realize who you want to complete against for talent and compensate accordingly. You won't get Google talent paying what Sony pays. You won't get the results from the ones who take what you pay them!

Fun place to work for when the business was doing well.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Sony Electronics

Pros

Relatively free and not constraining.

Cons

growth and promition is limited to local hires.

There are newer employer reviews for Sony Electronics